laundry room 15A or 20A

Old 05-11-05, 10:49 AM
laundry room 15A or 20A

i am adding some base and wall cabinets to my laundry room. would like to add two outlets above the countertop as well as a switched outlet for some undercabinet lighting. these will be on a new circuit. should i run a 20A circuit or is 15A ok?

thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 05-11-05, 10:56 AM
Does one of these feed the washer itself? Personally I wouldnt put a recept anywhere on a 15A circuit unless it was dedicated to some lighting.

Old 05-11-05, 11:41 AM
no, the washer/dryer is on it's own circuit; the existing ceiling lighting fixtures and wall outlets are on another circuit as well. this new circuit would supply two gfci outlets (there's a sink on the countertop) and a switched outlet for the undercabinet lighting. originally i was going to find another circuit to tap off of, but it's just easier to run a new one and i have the space in the circuit panel box.

Old 05-11-05, 12:15 PM
You can use either 15 or 20a circuits, I like 20 in case you want to plug in higher draw items like irons or a vaccuum or even a heater. Its just a personal thing I guess, I tend to like 20's. I do use some 15A circuits in homes but mostly for lighting circuits. Especially like 20 if there is more than one outlet on the same wire. I like that you want to run new wire, now its a known quanity and not hooked to other things.

Old 05-11-05, 12:37 PM
You must have at least one 20-amp circuit with nothing except laundry area receptacles on it. After that, you can add other circuits to the laundry area that are either 15-amp or 20-amp. But like others, I see no reason to install a 15-amp circuit in the laundry room. In fact, I see no reason to ever install a 15-amp receptacle circuit anywhere. But you can if you want to (after meeting the requirement stated in my first sentence).

Old 05-14-05, 08:10 PM
well i went with your advice and ran the 20amp circuit. now here's another question. one of the items this new circuit feeds is a switched outlet for undercabinet lighting. i saw one of those motion sensing switches at the store and thought it would be convienent to have these lights go on when we come in from the garage at night. now i know that regular switches are rated 15A or 20A, but this motion switch did not have such a current rating. instead, under specifications it listed an incandesent load of 500W. would it be okay to use this on a 20A circuit?

Old 05-14-05, 09:54 PM
Yes, it can be ran on a 20A