outside service good or bad?

Old 05-12-05, 04:35 AM
outside service good or bad?

I'm completely rewiring an old farm house which I willl live in. I let a electrician talk me in to putting in all outside approved service. Reason being: He said he could put a 220 and a 110 plug at the bottom of the service and when I called for inspection of my temporary pole this would be it. County said no go. Have to put up a temp pole to specs of electrical co. Did I screw up or is this outside service OK?

Sponsored Links
Old 05-12-05, 05:56 AM
This service is mounted on the house right? This is very commonly done around here, even in the large 5000' houses. If there is a garage it is commonly put there. For some reason the contractors think they can save some cash. We usually install The main panel outside but will put a lighting sub panel inside. If it's a very large house will put another panel upstairs. The only downside to an all outside panel is having to go outside during a rainstorm to resest a breaker, which would only happen very very rarely.

Old 05-12-05, 08:48 PM
Hey Jedi9,
Thanks for the reply. That's a releif. I can build a house from the ground up but I learned one thing about Electricity many years ago and that's it will kill you so I dont mess with it. I mean i'm completely cluless about running wire and I dont want to know either. Here ( Dallas Texas area) you have to have your breaker panel in a laundry like room or any room I guess except closets. I didnt want the service in the living room so rather than add a room I went with his idea. Good to know everything will be ok. The house is only 1,400 sq ft.

Old 05-13-05, 06:23 AM
It should be fine