wire in concrete

Old 05-14-05, 02:55 AM
wire in concrete

i need some advice on how to go about running electric through concrete..
i want to install a lamp post and outlet used for xmas lighting..im going to make it a dedicated 20 amp line,the whole lenght of line will be 15 feet from panel.
i have conrete walk way all around the front of my house,which is 12 inches thick..... ....im going to cut a 4 inch wide section out of the conrete and run wire ,then repair that section with concrete..
should i run single conductors through emt conduit,or us uf cable....im not sure if uf cable can be buried in conrete....thanks for any advice you can give me....
basically the run will consist of ,from the panel directly through the fondation .(about 2 feet),then the cable will run along the outside of house (5 feet),then down into the concretewalkway (3 feet acrosss ),then approximately 4 feet along (under) the dirt to the lamp post...

Sponsored Links
Old 05-14-05, 03:05 AM
I would use steel conduit through the foundation of the house. For th walkway, bury the cable deep enough so that it goes under the walkway completely. If you want, use conduit to protect it, but it should be deeper than 12 inches anyway. Use 12-2 UF cable.

Old 05-14-05, 04:25 AM
>should i run single conductors <

If the wire is going into conduit which I would do, then I beleive they need to be single conductors. Some 12 ga stranded should do the trick. It something like TWN but I can never remember the letters.

>im going to cut a 4 inch wide section out of the conrete and run wire ,then repair that section with concrete..<

Dig a hole on both side of the sidewalk and then punch a steell pipe through under the walk. I have doen this befoe and will save you from ripping apart the sidewalk.

Hope this helps,

Bob

Old 05-14-05, 12:27 PM
thats a good idea bob ,but my problem is the sidewalk goes right against the foundation,so there is only dirt on one side,and also it is a double sidewalk,through out the years my grandfather raised the sidewalk to keep the water out,before city storm sewers were upgraded,so now i have a 12inch thick sidewalk..

Old 05-14-05, 01:47 PM
"im not sure if uf cable can be buried in conrete" - No. Article 340.12(8)

UF cable minimum depth for direct burial is 24", or 12" if GFCI protected before exiting house.

Can you do the entire run in conduit? That would be the best way. Don't use UF cable, use THWN wire (black, white, green), 12 guage. Don't use EMT conduit, it will rust away. Use Schedule 80 PVC

Old 05-14-05, 03:09 PM
pvc is illegal to use in residential application even underground. Ideally i would use rigid steel but emt will last for a long long time before it rusts

Old 05-14-05, 04:53 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Originally Posted by kbaker
pvc is illegal to use in residential application even underground.
That's news to me. Can you cite a code refrence to support this.

We use PVC all the time in both commercial and residential applications.