lights out in bathroom

Old 05-14-05, 09:23 PM
jackhobbs
Visiting Guest
lights out in bathroom

hey, thanks for any help you can offer...

The ceiling light in my bathroom used to work and then one day it just shut off. It seemed like a short, but when we hit the circuit breaker, nothing happened. Its controlled by a switch on the wall and I want to go in and fix it, but I also don't want to cause any problems... any suggestions on where to start?>

Sponsored Links
Old 05-14-05, 10:30 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Is this one light the only electrical thing in the entire house that you are having trouble with? If so, then first try replacing the bulbs, then the switch and finally replace the fixture. Read a book on home wiring so that you know how to make good connections. Carefully record all connections before you disconnect anything, and then only disconnect the minimum necessary. Connect the new part the same way the old one was. Shut off the breaker and also test the wires with a circuit tester before you touch anything. Let us know how you make out.

Old 05-15-05, 02:15 PM
jackhobbs
Visiting Guest
This is not the only electrical problem we have, there is another light switch for the closet that has never worked since we moved in. Both are in the same part of the house, but the one in the bathroom did work for some time. I am thinking it is faulty wiring because a lot of the things in this house seem to be "homemade"

Old 05-15-05, 09:17 PM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
If there is a GFCI outlet in that bathroom, check to see if that might have tripped and try resetting it. Possibly the lights are wired through it.