Gas range & Lights Problems (HELP!!!!!!)

Old 05-16-05, 05:49 PM
Handyman05
Visiting Guest
Gas range & Lights Problems (HELP!!!!!!)

I got some serious problems, everytime i turn on the gas range, the lights in the kitchen go on and off, and i'm really worried about that. Please Help!!!!

Sponsored Links
Old 05-16-05, 06:33 PM
Well, I wouldn't suggest that you wait until we figure it out. It would be better to call either an electrician or an appliance repairman immediately.

Are the kitchen lights incandescent or fluorescent? How long to they stay on? Do they come on by themselves, or do they only go out when you turn off the range? Have there been any recent changes?

Old 05-16-05, 10:24 PM
I would say your stove has an electronic ignition. The electronic ignitions turn on and off - I'll bet that when the ignition fires the lights go out, then come back on when it is off. And it sounds like the outlet it is pluged into is on the same curcuit as the lights. And probably an older house (i'm going to guess mid 60's or earlier). If you have a heavy duty extention cord (number 10) try running it from the stove to an outlet in another room (on a different curcuit) and see if that corrects the problem. If so then you need to figure out how to get the stove on it's own circuit, or at ver least one less used.

If you are in an older home it sounds like you need to call an electrician to ook at possibly doing some rewireing arround the house, and have someone to check the stove out.

Old 05-17-05, 06:04 PM
Handyman05
Visiting Guest
Thanks TPAAIRMAN:

You were right in everything you said, except; that while the lights are on, they go out and back on as soon as the range's electronic ignition finish.

Old 05-19-05, 11:17 PM
Well that means that the ignition is drawing power until the stove is lit, not just while it actually sparks. Even still the issue seems to be that it is drawing too much current. I would still have the stove checked because in order to actually turn the light off it would have to draw a WHOLE LOT of current, which doesn't sound quite right.

Old 05-20-05, 08:17 AM
Your initial post said that the lights go on and off when you turn on the range. But your later post seems to imply that they go off and on. These two different symptoms would point to different problems, so it's important that we know which.