Routing Wires In Panel Box

Old 05-17-05, 09:25 AM
I
Forum Topic Moderator
Upvotes: 0
Received 45 Upvotes on 43 Posts
Routing Wires In Panel Box

When wiring in a main panel box, does anyone have comments/preferences on crossing wires from side to side?

I have a large conduit from my garage that enters on the right side of my main panel box. To add some circuits to the garage through this conduit (conduit fill and de-rating are OK), I will need to use breakers on the left side of the panel box. This will require the wires to cross from right to left.

Should I route them over top of the service entrance wires along the top of the box or go the long way down to the bottom and up the other side? The box is a large 200A 40 space enclosure.

Old 05-17-05, 09:29 AM
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Go the long way 'round -- very carefully. Remember that even with the panel shut off, you always have hot service cables within the panel.

Old 05-17-05, 10:41 AM
I
There maybe a couple of circuits on the right-hand side of the panel, that can easily be moved to the left.

For example, if you are lucky, a circuit or two may have entered on the left, but are currently connected to the right. It's worth a "look-see".

This would free up a couple of breakers, and avoid the need to route the cables from the garage conduit.

Last edited by impeyr; 05-17-05 at 12:51 PM.
Old 05-18-05, 05:27 AM
ibpooks,

If possible we always when the wires come into the panel from the lower sides or even sides we always go down to the bottom and then back up the other side if needed. The reason some do it is because in most cases the SE cable and Main Terminals are at the top and working grounds and so on can be more dangerous than just moving them along the bottom and then back up as needed.

You do need to becareful any time you are working in a panel because the BUS Bar in the middle of the panel is still HOT and can arc if your grounds touch it......when working in a PANEL focus is the key...block everything else out and do not have distractions....always focus on the bar being hot even if you have the main off.....never get LAX......even after 18 years of doing electrical work I treat all panels live and with respect when working in them.

At the end of the day.....turn off the MAIN breaker if you do not have the experience.....better safe and reset some clocks versus dead....

Old 05-18-05, 09:37 AM
R
A couple of notes for working in a panel, or any live circuit for that matter.

Take off all watches and rings! A ring or watch contacting the right (or wrong) place can turn an otherwise tingling or slightly jolting experience into a lost finger or worse.

Athough not usually practical, keep one hand in your pocket unless it is needed to accomplish a particular task.

Good luck,

Old 05-18-05, 04:58 PM
AdamLPerry
Visiting Guest
Long way more flexible

Our local inspectors require that in new work all wires that come in on the left are terminated on the right and visa-versa or if they must go to the same side because of the number of breakers is full on the opposite side, that the wired run across the bottom and then do a "U" turn and return to the side they came in on. The logic, although a little faulty in my mind is that this way if re-work is ever needed, all wires will be long enough to reach any breaker in the box without the need to splice or re-run wires.

Do be sure to do as previously suggested -- take off metal jewelry. It is best to have all power to the box killed if possible. Have good footing because if you loose your balance the first thing you grab could be something inside the panel!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: