Pool pump cord

Old 05-16-05, 11:19 PM
kjb197
Visiting Guest
Pool pump cord

Had previous owners set up the pool pump and filter for me. They have an extension cord from a covered GFCI outlet running to the pump 3 prong plug. There is no weather protection. What is the right way to set this up for next year (with storing the pump during winter) and how can I effectively seal the connection "good enough" for this year?

Sponsored Links
Old 05-17-05, 05:38 AM
You have two options:

1) Place a receptacle close enough to the pump to not require an extension cord.

2) Replace the existing cord and plug with a longer cord and plug.

Those are the only options that I can think of.

Now bear in mind that there are a myriad of rules regarding pools. The circuit must BE GFCI protected. The receptacle must be at least five feet from the pool. If within 10 feet, it must be a twist lock connection. The pump and and the pool must be bonded, along with any other metal in and around the pool. Circuits for pools must have an insulated ground when outside the house. UF wire is not allowed, you must use individual conductors in conduit outside the house.

Last edited by racraft; 05-17-05 at 07:47 PM.
Old 05-17-05, 01:48 PM
Max length of the cord powering the pump is not to exceed 3'.The receptacle for the pool pump must be on GFCI protected circuit of a twist-lock type. Although its not required by the NEC {it may be by local codes} it should be on a dedicated circuit.

Old 05-17-05, 02:46 PM
Ampz,
This is probably a storable pool pump which is different than a pump for a permanent pool. To be UL listed as such, it must have a minimum of a 25 foot cord and be double insulated (doubtful if there is any bonding requirement for it it will not have a bonding lug)

Old 05-17-05, 03:18 PM
Circuits for pools must have an insulated neutral when outside the house
Bob - Did you mean insulated "grounding conductor", no bare?

Old 05-17-05, 07:46 PM
Yes, I meant insulated ground conductor. Sorry.

Regardless of whether the pump is storable or not, it still must meet NEC codes.

Old 05-17-05, 08:33 PM
Are you thinking

of a cover to protect the cord while plugged into the outlet?

Something like this: http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?actio...WRN&lpage=none

If I'm way off-base, then please disregard. Just trying to help out!

Old 05-17-05, 10:18 PM
kjb197
Visiting Guest

The cord from the pump is about 3 feet. The pump, with the existing lengths of hose, is 4 to 5 feet from the outlet. The outlet is GFCI and is covered with a weather box. It is not on its own circuit. There have been no problems with tripping breakers running it with the extension cord, 10' long. I'd like to just wrap the pump plug/extension plug up so it is weather proof first. If that can't be done "good enough" for now then replace the pump cord so it reaches the outlet. I'll get it done right this fall for next year.

Old 05-18-05, 01:42 AM
Gosh, I wish I could be more helpful. Bob's first reply was probably the best answer. I don't know of a really good way to protect your extension cord connection. If you seal it up real good and moisture does get in there it will be trapped inside. Anyway, make sure you push the test button on the GFCI to make sure it is working.

At one time, I worked with a lot of pumps (mostly the wet end rather than the motor/electrical). That is why I am a little familiar with some of the requirements. "Storable pools" codes are more lienent than permanently installed but all of the electrical equipment must be listed by the UL and identified as for storable pools only. I don't know what the current definition of a storable pool. It was a pool that is less than 42" deep that was readiliy disassembled for storage and reassembled.

With a 3' cord, your pump does not sound like a storable pool pump. So you should probably bond [run a solid no. 8 (? size) copper wire] the pump to any metal frame of the pool. All of the metal parts around the pool should be connected or should have the bonding wire connecting them. I don't know if you need to worry about it if it is an inflatable pool.

Old 05-18-05, 05:18 PM
kjb197
Visiting Guest

The pool is 16'x30' oval, Not storable. The filter, pump, skimmer, etc. are all that is stored for the winter. I got a 20' cord today to replace the 3' coming from the pump. I'm going to relocate the pump and run the cord directly to the outlet on a timer. Everything is rated for outdoors. Thanks