rewiring an older house

Old 05-17-05, 01:11 PM
carlmeyers
Visiting Guest
rewiring an older house

If it becomes necessary to rewire an older home (single story with full basement) can much of the wiring be dropped through the floor and connected in the basement rather than tearing out latge sections of wall?

Sponsored Links
Old 05-17-05, 02:14 PM
That is the ideal way to do it, and having an unfinished basement ceiling makes things so much easier. Of course you will still need to deal with your first floor ceilings with regards to wiring from switches to overhead lighting.

You will need access to attic or crawl space to achieve without opening walls and snaking ceilings.

Old 05-18-05, 06:03 PM
assemblage
Visiting Guest
If the basement is "finished" but with exposed joists for the floor above there are code requirements for how to run the wire along the joists, something like having to drill holes in the joists and run them there instead of across the bottoms of the joists. I'm not an electrician, but am rewiring my 1954 ranch. The wiring was already in the crawl space originally - as in they went up from the crawlspace to the socket and then back down and then across to the next socket and up-down, etc. I used those wires to attach my new wire to and pulled it through using those. If you have to drill up, you could use a very long flexible drill bit. They are about $40 from Lowes. Saw some at Goodmart.com for cheaper though.