New Light Installation

Old 05-18-05, 07:19 AM
ixnay
Visiting Guest
New Light Installation

I think this is right but need some verification!

We bought a light 2ft x 4ft and installed it. The light has 2 wires coming out of it, a black wire and a white wire. The light is connected to a light switch with power coming from the hot box to the light.

I run the black wire from the switch to the black wire on the light and the black wire from the Hot box to the black wires to the light also and nut them all together and do the same with the white wires and then run the ground from switch to the ground from the hot box together??

Sponsored Links
Old 05-18-05, 07:32 AM
I cannot follow what you are saying, but it doesn't sound right at all.

Try again.

Old 05-18-05, 07:48 AM
ixnay
Visiting Guest
Ok, sorry if I jumbled things up but I will try to make it sound better!

First of all let me state that we are using 14-2AWG wire.

The light that we put into the ceiling has 2 wires sticking out of it, a black wire and a white wire.

From the light switch im running the wires to the lights in this sequence:
Black wire from light switch to the black wire on the light
White wire from the same light switch to the white wire on the light

From the fuse box im doing the exact same thing
Black wire from fuse box to black wires on the light
white wire from fuse box to white wires on light
then im wiring the grounds from the light switch and the fuse box together at the light.
All connections put together at the light with wire nuts.

Basically im just matching the colors and twisting them together at the light and putting a wire nut on on them.

I hope this make sense and if so is the correct way to do this?

Old 05-18-05, 09:06 AM
Power to the switch: The wires from the switch to the light are connected black to black and white to white at the light.

Is there a grounding wire in the cable? Be sure to make connections.

Power to the light: Connect white wire from switch to black power wire. Connect black wire from switch to the light's black wire. Connect white wire from power feed to white wire at light.

Old 05-18-05, 09:07 AM
As you probably have discovered, this is not correct. In your setup you are connecting the neutral and the hot wire to the switch. When you turn the switch on you are shorting these together, which will immediately blow your fuse.

I suggest that you purchase the book Wiring Simplified at one of the big box stores. If you made this mistake, you likely made others. Electricity can kill and cause fires.

The proper way to wire your setup is to make a switch loop.

At the light, connect the power white wire to the light white wire.
At the light connect the power black wire to the white switch wire. Use a black marker and color a portion of this white wire.
At the light connect the switch black wire to the light black wire.
At the switch connect the black and white wires to the switch. Color the white wire with the black marker.

Connect the grounds properly at all locations.

Old 05-18-05, 09:51 AM
ixnay
Visiting Guest
Thanks guys, for the replies! I was obviously wrong and I have made no connections as of yet. I wanted to ask and make sure first and I am going to purchase a book the next time I make a trip out of town. This is my first wiring detail by the way (as you can probably tell). I have a relative who is an electrician but they are always busy or never around when I need them. I will do the wiring to the switch and light but not the hot box itself, I will have them or someone else with experience take care of that and also have them double check my wiring before hand.

thanx once again for your help and for the book recommedation!

Old 05-18-05, 03:07 PM
Originally Posted by ixnay
I have a relative who is an electrician but they are always busy or never around when I need them.
Cold beer is a good for getting help from relatives.