General Electrical Question

Old 05-19-05, 10:58 AM
General Electrical Question

Hi All,

I've messed around with electrical 'stuff' for a while, installing cans in a suspended ceiling, track lighting, etc. But I don't feel I really understand what 'can' be hooked up to what.

At my office I'll find a junction box, and think, "well, i want another light here" so I'll splice on some wire, hook up a light, it works, and i'm ok with it.

Is this wrong to just go around hooking up/splicing on new fixtures wherever i please? Obviously i can overload something and the light won't work/circuit breaker goes off. so i tend to favor low wattage fixtures to avoid any issues.

I'd like to be able to look at a electrical system, and know for a fact what can and cannot be done with it. I recently purchased a home from the 1940's, and it has the sketchy looking black rubber coated ungrounded wires. I plan on tearing out as much of that as possible as i remodel and replace it with the standard white grounded cable.

If anyone knows of a web site of book that explains the basics of electrical work, and how to tell what is what and what can go where i would greatly appreciate the help!

thanks everyone,
-Eric

Sponsored Links
Old 05-19-05, 11:20 AM
Do not go messing with the electrical at your office, or any other location besides your house. To do so is foolish. You could be held criminally liable if the place burns down or if someone gets hurt or killed as a result of your work.

Do not mess with the electrical in your house until you have read and understand at least two books on residential wiring. I would suggest starting with Wiring Simplified. Look for other books at the library and at the various home stores in your area.

Old 05-20-05, 07:02 AM
eric,

The information you posted below:

"At my office I'll find a junction box, and think, "well, i want another light here" so I'll splice on some wire, hook up a light, it works, and i'm ok with it.

Is this wrong to just go around hooking up/splicing on new fixtures wherever i please? Obviously i can overload something and the light won't work/circuit breaker goes off. so i tend to favor low wattage fixtures to avoid any issues.

I'd like to be able to look at a electrical system, and know for a fact what can and cannot be done with it. I recently purchased a home from the 1940's, and it has the sketchy looking black rubber coated ungrounded wires. I plan on tearing out as much of that as possible as i remodel and replace it with the standard white grounded cable."

OK.......I will not only mirror what RAC has stated on the reading and learning but will also suggest you possibly contact your local technical center and possibly see if they have some basic wiring classes and learning classes you can attend as well because the items in the house for upgradeing is not as cut and dry as you have stated...take it from me I have done ALOT of older home remodels....just not as easy as replacing a wire....trust me and you are doing a major electrical system upgrade at that point and will need to bring it in to compliance....I wont go into that....

I also would suggest you not mess with anything at your work unless you are the BOSS and own the business. Sure nothing may happen but something COULD happen and yes you are liable. If you really need the light tell the owner or manager they need to hire a local electrician and have them do it as I am sure you give your work enough of your precious time...let them pay for it.

Old 05-20-05, 08:24 AM
Thanks guys

I suppose i underestimated the importance of other's working around me when messing with something i don't fully understand. I spent all night reading up on the subject and am looking into classes before i attempt something as serious as a house upgrade. For now i've disconnected what I did at the office just to be extra safe.

-Eric