Blown bulb tripping breaker

Old 05-19-05, 01:00 PM
jhalvorsen
Visiting Guest
Blown bulb tripping breaker

I completely rewired my house (ca. 1918) a couple of years ago. Since that time whenever one of two light fixtures are turned on and the bulb simutaneously blows it will trip the breaker. This rarely happens, maybe two or three times a year. There are a couple of other fixtures on the same breaker but I don't have any problems with them. The two that I do have trouble with are newer "chandalier" type fixtures with several bulbs. The only thing that I can think of is that maybe there is a short in the ground or something. Any ideas on what could be causing this?

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-19-05, 06:45 PM
Probably just the bulbs. As the bulb burns out, it probably draws enough current to trip the breaker.

I suppose you could have a bad neutral connection somewhere that is causing the voltage to exceed normal. This is more likely if you used any multiwire circuits, but could happen with the service neutral too.

It's probably nothing to worry about, but I might check my neutral connections and monitor the voltage occasionally with a voltmeter. I might also ask the power company to check their connections.

Old 05-19-05, 07:46 PM
Could an AFCI trip when a bulb blows out?