old work ceiling box question

Old 05-20-05, 11:58 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
old work ceiling box question

I recently learned that a Carlon old work ceiling box is not intended to support a celing light fixture. Go figure? Anyway, I would like to know your practical experience with this. I installed one in my bathroom ceiling while trying to clean up other wiring problems. I hope to gut the bathroom in the next year and will have it replaced at that time. Any horror stories about old work ceiling boxes? It is only supporting a couple pounds.

Here is what I thought was the fixtures box from the attic: http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y22...p/04d5716d.jpg

Here is what I found when I removed the light fixture (Oh My!): http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y22...p/6574527d.jpg
Someone moved the light fixture after the ceiling was dropped down a little bit. The light fixtures mounting strap was screwed to a scrap of casing set on top of the drywall.

There was no access to the wiring in the box. It had a few too many wires in it (12 conductors): http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y22...p/867abb17.jpg

Sponsored Links
Old 05-22-05, 07:56 AM
If you are keeping the present wiring configuration, you can replace the old electrical box in the attic with an extra-deep box and make up your splices, running a short length of cable to the new, old-work box.

The Carlon box will not support a ceiling fan or heavy light fixture, but it should support a lightweight light.

Old 05-22-05, 10:27 PM
Thanks Mr. FixIt,
I will leave oldwork box be for the time being and it will be on my to do list to address latter. I found this problem when I went to disconnect some cables that are no longer used. In the approximate location of the original box, I now have a 4" square box that has the cable fished down to the old work box for the light. The box has 4 cables (8 conductors) that only serve the bathroom so I don't need and deep box or extender.

Funny thing about mentioning ceiling fans, I was debating how to support an existing ceiling fan. Then, I became curious as to how much weight these light duty old work boxes can support. I did not think much since it relies on the drywall for support. But I was suprised when Carlon's website said it couldn't support any fixture in a ceiling and 6 pound fixture in a wall.