Proper Method for Splicing and Rejoing 10/3 wire

Old 05-21-05, 05:18 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Proper Method for Splicing and Rejoing 10/3 wire

Hi:
Current setup: a wide, black wire labeled 10/3, connected to 2 20A breakers and used for an electrical, baseboard heater. Wire runs across basement ceiling from main box to the opposite side of the house.

Problem: We are beginning a basement remodeling job. I need to splice this wire and rejoin it.

Advice needed: I've never worked with this type of wire before. I've done lots of work or 12 and 14 guage wire, but not 10. Can anyone offer suggestions for workbox size and best re-connection methods (wire nuts, other?).

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-21-05, 06:36 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
mchrist,

No need to fret about it being # 10 as it will connect just like the previous wire you have worked with. However, at the point you plan on cutting it you will need to install a junction box and it MUST remain accessible and not inside the wall...

So not knowing your install just keep those issues above in mind. As for splicing you will find that wirenuts will work fine, in fact the standard RED bucannans will work fine for you and the junction box you will need is a simply 4x4 square.....no real special things in regards to this just that if you plan to junction it MUSt remain accessible and make sure you also get a 4x4" coverplate for the box as well.

P.S. Make sure you KNOW 100% the power is off to the line before you attempt to cut it or work with it.

Old 05-21-05, 08:12 PM
assemblage
Visiting Guest
I don't know if it's kosher with the code, but a single or double gang box and a solid plate to cover it might give you more room if it's needed. The gang boxes seem to be a little deeper than the 4x4's I've seen at the store & a few cents cheaper. Also, if it's in a location that you need to cover with sheetrock, you can get the solid plates in ivory, white, and beige that might look a little better than the blue or metal plates the gang boxes use.