? Gauge wire

Old 05-21-05, 10:56 PM
whiteowl
Visiting Guest
? Gauge wire

I'm installing a outdoor spa tub which calls for an outdoor 60AMP GFCI breaker box. My question is this, "what gauge cble should I be looking for?" The run from main box to outdoor panel is approximately 95'-100'. Does this run effect what gauge wire I should be looking for? My electrician is wavering from 6-3-1 to 4-3-1. We haven't really hit the wall on this but we need alittle help on this matter. The run is 90'-95' in length. Also, does the outdoor breaker box for tub need to have a grounding rod such as the house main panel?

Sponsored Links
Old 05-22-05, 05:22 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Originally Posted by whiteowl
My electrician is wavering from 6-3-1 to 4-3-1................does the outdoor breaker box for tub need to have a grounding rod such as the house main panel?
First off let me comment on this.
Your "electrician" is wavering??? If he cannot answer these questions he is no electrician. I hope one of you knows all the intricate codes involved with wiring a spa. I also hope for your own sake, and safety, you are having this installation inspected.

OK, #6/3 NM is fine for the inside wiring. Inside only!
If the spa disconnect is located right on the house you can feed into the back of it with the NM. If it is located away from the house you will need to run conduit from it, into the house and splice the individual, insulated conductors to the NM in an appropriate splice box.
Bottom line is, conduit and an insulated ground are required as soon as the circuit leaves the strcture.

NO! Absolutley no ground rod is needed for the disconnect or tub.

Old 05-22-05, 06:08 AM
Speedy,

What they are allowing here in VA is to run the NM in the house to the exit point that goes outside and then at that point since 1999 code they are allowing it to now be sleeved in FNMC-B flex all the way to the GFCI 60A disconnect if close enough.....otherwise individual conductors.

Now from our experience junction boxes are needed every 10-15' and we have been running 1" FNMC-B flex and the inspector has been in happy heaven.

And whiteowl, if the electrician is VERBALLY waivering to you I would question them because chances are he has not done one before. We do so many of them we know what our local AHJ will allow and what they will not before we even start them.

Last edited by ElectricalMan; 05-22-05 at 06:56 AM. Reason: Speedy Got Me...lol......
Old 05-22-05, 06:32 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Originally Posted by ElectricalMan
Speedy,
What they are allowing here in VA is to run the NM in the house to the exit point that goes outside and then at that point since 1999 code they are allowing it to now be sleeved in carflex all the way to the GFCI 60A disconnect
You are running the 6/3 NM in flex?? How do you get it to fit in 3/4". I use 1" PVC & sealtite for 4-#6 THHN.
IMO, even if I was allowed I wouldn't use NM in flex, especially outdoors.

Originally Posted by ElectricalMan
Now from our experience junction boxes are needed every 10-15' and we have been running 3/4" Carflex and the inspector has been in happy heaven.
What junction boxes do you mean?

Old 05-22-05, 06:41 AM
ACK....it is 1" Flex....lol.........nice eyes speedy..... ...lol.....the junctions we put in are to assist in getting the wire through the flex....in some of the wierd installs we are in different positions and in some it was easier to add WP juntion boxes in between the run.......to the GFCI disconnet...

hmmmm.....actually I went down to the storage shed ( which is I am at the office and it is FNMC-B we use which is rated for direct bury flex....and noticed we do pull individual conductors unless it is a short run for protection only then we run the NM....

Sad to say the lastest units we have been doing have been like 30 foot runs at weird angles and under multi-decks so we have been adding the junction boxes under ( WP ) to assist in the pulls.

Old 05-22-05, 06:53 AM
Speedy,

Actually, we would not suggest a client even running 6/3NM inside to a point that it goes outside. Usually we install these all the way back to the panel and pull our own wire in them individually.

However, I was assuming in your statement to Whiteowl about the 6/3 being ok and wanted to inject the fact it can be in flex if close enough....done all the time in 6' or less runs to ourside units and so on.

Probably should have elaborated more on that...lol.......now I do have (1) helper that swears he can get a 6/3 NM in a 3/4" flex we use for that...lol...but I don't think it will happen..not on my dime...lol

Also I do not like the idea of someone running 6/3 NM to a point where it exits the house and then they have to think of how they are going to switch over to individual conductors....hard enough for the DIYer to understand the run itself to interject they need a juntion box sized enough for juntions and split bolts and so on........

I prefer to just have them take it all the way to the panel...lol...and since 1999 allows FNMC-B for conduit runs....it sure makes the job easier than standard conduit these days.