Coktop & Oven grounding

Old 05-22-05, 09:37 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Coktop & Oven grounding

I am remodeling my kitchen in my newly purchased home. The home was built in 1965 with a cooktop and a wall oven. The wiring for each is a 40a breaker with 8/3 wire. Sometime in the early 80's someone upgraded the appliances and added a fourth wire along side and taped it to the wire. I thought this ground went back to the panel, but it doesn't. I found them in my crawl space clamped to the same water pipe that the panel is grounded to. Is this acceptable? I am once again upgrading the appliances and have the option of wiring the as three or four wire connections. I may be moving the cooktop. If I do, I will likely run a new 8/4 line instead of splicing it. But if I dont, I'm not sure which way to wire them. Any input would be greatly appreciated... Andrew

Sponsored Links
Old 05-22-05, 01:21 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
That method of grounding is acceptable if and only if the connection from the panel and the connection from the oven are both connected to the pipe within five feet of where it enters your house.

If you can run a new cable all the way back to the panel(which you should do if you remodel), you might consider running #6 copper wire rather than #8 as that will give you greater flexibility of future appliances.

By the way, modern cable called "8/3" has three insulated conductors plus ground. So if you go looking for something called "8/4", you probably won't find it.