Wiring a Kenmore Dishwasher.

Old 05-22-05, 10:12 AM
Wiring a Kenmore Dishwasher.

I pulled out our dishwasher to install a new floor, and did not pay enough attention to the wiring. It is a Kenmore Ultra Wash, Model number 15779990. Anyways, I went to put it back together and wire it. I simply has one wire to connect with a positive, negative and ground. Simple enough. However after connecting the positive and negative leads I noticed that the ground was straight and apparently never bent or twisted. Also, I could not find a spot where they would have connected the ground.

After cussing at myself for not paying more attention I read on the small panel cover that the dishwasher is left intentionally un-grounded!!

Does this sound right? I want to make sure before I turn the circuit back on since it is against my intuition to leave it ungrounded.

Or, if anyone knows where I can download a copy of the owners manual please let me know.

If this is not the right forum please let me know.

Thanks for the help.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-22-05, 11:04 AM
First off AC has no polarity, no positive and negative. Hook Black to Black, White to White, and bare (or green) grounding conductor to green screw or green tail provided in DW junction box.

The dishwasher requires grounding, I have never seen an "intentionally non-grounded" dishwasher used in USA.

Old 05-22-05, 12:55 PM
Although alternating current has no positive or negative, it is generally considered that 120-volt circuits in North America do have polarity. But black to black and white to white should result in the correct polarity.

I also agree that I have never seen an intentionally ungrounded dishwasher (toasters are often intentionally ungrounded, but not dishwashers). Can you quote, word for word, exactly what you read the made you think that it should not be grounded?

Have you done a google search for your make and model? Most appliances still being sold have installation manuals on the web. If it's an old dishwasher, you should still have the manuals filed away somewhere.

Old 05-22-05, 04:11 PM
Thanks guys. I went ahead and grounded it and everything works fine.