Grounding for Bathroom and Kitchen

Old 05-23-05, 01:07 PM
makr0
Visiting Guest
Grounding for Bathroom and Kitchen

I've just bought a house that was built in 66, the recepticals are ungrouded, so I'm installing the three prong outlets through out. I not to worried about grouding them except for in the Kitchen and the bathroom. I was wondering if I can run the ground wires to the drainpipes? or is this a bad idea.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 05-23-05, 01:11 PM
Do not install three prong receptacles unless there is either a proper ground or you provide GFCI protection.

Please do not do this.

To do so is dangerous and a waste of money.

Do not even consider trying to ground to the drainpipes. That is even worse than no ground.

Please stop. What you are doing could kill someone.

Old 05-23-05, 01:25 PM
I second everything Bob just said!

Old 05-23-05, 02:28 PM
makr0
Visiting Guest
Thanks guys, I haven't started anything yet. I'm just getting a action plan for when I get move in. I like to ask before I act.

Old 05-24-05, 12:02 PM
manythumbs
Visiting Guest
I would think that a house built in '66 would very likely have two-prong outlets installed in boxes with ground wires running to them. On the other hand, if that were the case, it seems like the owners would have changed them already. In any case, it is worth checking out before you start making plans to change everything. You might have a very simple task in front of you.