Time for Rough Wiring?

Old 05-23-05, 01:10 PM
Luthar28
Visiting Guest
Time for Rough Wiring?

I'm helping my mother build a new cottage. I've framed the house and installed the trusses...but there's no sheathing on the roof or walls (someone else is handling that).

Do I need to wait for this sheathing to be installed before I can begin the rough wiring (not energized) such as running cables and installing boxes? We're weekend warriors, so it could be 1-2 weeks before all the sheathing is installed.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-23-05, 04:59 PM
Luthar28,

Usually my crews and myself do not start a " ROUGH IN " until the house is fully under room to ensure our cables and so on do not come in contact with rain and moisture.

Now you can start to layout the house in terms of location of boxes and so on and in some cases you could even start to pre-drill for feeds and so on as well as you could go on and nail up boxes if you wish.

But in my opinion and it is only mine... I would not run any NM wire until you are under roof and out of the elements totally...just me but again all we do is electrical so when they call us....we are fighting with the plumbers and HVAC guys....lol

Old 05-25-05, 11:31 AM
Luthar28
Visiting Guest
Sounds about right

Thanks for the input.

It just didn't seem right for me to be roughing in the wiring when it still isn't fully enclosed. I know it's not energized, but the mere thought of water and wiring just doesn't mix.

I'll wait until the exterior sheathing is on.

Thanks!