Power for fan

Old 05-23-05, 02:51 PM
Power for fan

Hi, Could use some help.
I want to vent a very large attic that gets very hot. There is very adequate soffit area for incoming air. I 'd like to use an exhaust in the vertical position, through a shutter [fan can operate in this position] The fan the space will accept is a 20 " 418 Watts, 1/4 HP,and I believe operates at 4.5 A., and is rated at 3510 CFM
There is an electrical wire that has 2 electric lights [single bulb each] that is marked NMB 600 Volts. I cannot discover that anything else runs off that line.
I 'd like to install a thermstat at the fan and a timer to the floor below. Does this sound OK? Any help would be most appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-23-05, 05:33 PM
attilathehun1,

The question here is do you know if anything else is on that circuit and the fan itself should tell you the AMPS and specs on it from the nameplate.

I would suggest you turn on the lights....then go down and shut off the breakers until those lights go out.....and now investigate your house to see what all you may lose with those lights off........plugs on a different floor and so on.

Depending on the test equipment you may have like a voltmeter, I would suggest you do as much as possible to know whats on the the circuit you are looking at, and this will help give you an idea if you can add this fan to the existing circuit without possibly overloading it possibly...

Now I am not saying you are....but I always err on the side of caution when adding things like this so do a little checking and see what all you may find on this circuit before you start adding exhaust fans to it and let us know what you find out.