Bonding distant subpanel?

Old 05-23-05, 08:27 PM
trempj
Visiting Guest
Bonding distant subpanel?

I am adding a 100 Amp panel in a shed 400 feet from my house, being powered from a breaker in my subpanel. Should the new panel be bonded?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-23-05, 08:30 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
If you run a 4-wire feeder, no. If you run a 3-wire feeder, yes.

Old 05-24-05, 01:55 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
"Bonding" is not easy to define, and "Bonding" may be difficult to distinguish from "Grounding" becuse the purpose of "Bonding" is to effect a low-impedance path-to-Ground at ALL metallic surfaces that may be "energized".

"Bonding" implies connections that form a monolitic metallic Grounding "structure" so that there is Zero volts-to-Ground at any metallic surface that encloses "live" conductors and devices and components that conduct and utilize electrical energy, this effected by Grounding/Bonding connections which result in such metallic surfaces being at "Ground potential".

You'r seperate-structure will require "Bonding" together , inside the Service-panel, the following --- the Feeder Equiptment Grounding Conductor--- the Grounding Electrode Conductor that connects to a Grounding Electrode--- the metallic surface of the panel-enclosure---the Equiptment Grounding Conductors of the Branch-Circuits that extend power to the connected loads.

Please note that the all Neutral Conductors,both Feeder and Branch-Circuits ,are required to be "Ground-isolated", i.e., completely seperated and insulated from any connections-to-Ground.

Good Luck & Enjoy the Experience!!!!!!!!