electric loop...

Old 05-24-05, 09:48 AM
shadowwalk22
Visiting Guest
electric loop...

An inspector from the power Co came around on Thursday to tell me he needed to get in our basement to cut the power...meter. Why, because the neighbor's next door is renovating their property. He stated the way the houses were built a long time ago, they are connected.
I called the power Co where I was practically given a whole lot of "who shot John." I was then told they wouldn't know that info. He asked his supervisor whom he said told him to ask 2 different dept. One dept said they had no work going on around the area. He did tell me to call the Energy dept...they would know, which I did.
Anyway, I was told this is not where to call for that info. She said they had something for the neighbor's house and I inform her that the power Co just told me they didn't. She told me of the loop, and put me through to an inspector. He couldn't find any info and then he did, stating our house is providing an electric loop to our neighbor's and orders have been issued to cut the loop. The neighbor's have a overhead service...
Now my ?, is this possible? Would they need to come into our basement in order to do that if it was true? I am looking on the internet and have found info that if you make a loop for your home, you can listen to anything through others. Please advise. Thank u.
**Sorry for the long post**

Sponsored Links
Old 05-26-05, 05:17 AM
shadowwalk22,

Hmmm..I have to say that is way before my time in that I have never heard of such a thing. I would think it would not matter if they turned off your panel it would serve them any need except to reduce any possible resistance draw on the line...but again they work with LIVE wires all the time so they should have no problem doing it without messing with your panel in my opinion.

Seems to me in the statement they give you....you have a breaker in your panel for your neighbor which I doubt.....they should be able to cut the line to your neighbor from the pole as you stated in the fact it is an overhead service to the neighbor.

Also you have too many people not knowing what is going on so in a effort to be safe and keep your family safe I just do not trust it..but again I am not familiar with such a wiring method so maybe some other Electrician here ( older guy ) may be able to shed some light on it more.....

I personally again have never seen this done this way before but regardless I would think they can simply cut the line at the pole itself and should not effect you.

Old 05-26-05, 08:37 AM
It sounds more to me like the service to your neighbor was (or was at one time) fed from the line side of your meter socket (or meter junction box if you have an A-base meter). My guess is that this feed to your neighbor's house was abandoned long ago in favor of the overhead service you mentioned. The reason they would need to cut that in your basement is to de-energize the entire abandoned feed.

Just my guess.

Old 05-27-05, 04:31 PM
Hmmm....why would it simply not be CUT at the meter base in that case rather than going into the clients panel. I simply can't believe even back then they would feed-thru a panel in one house to feed a entirly new house....meter base or gutter maybe but panel......sounds strange to me but hey..who knows way back when......

Just sounds like to me in that theory the solution is the UTLY simply opening the meter cab and removing the taps or compressions.

Old 05-28-05, 03:13 PM
jim97219
Visiting Guest
Here in the Portland, Oregon, area, there's a scam going on with the water department. People come to your house posing as inspectors doing work in the neighborhood and they say they need to get into your house to turn off the water. Well, they're not inspectors and, once in your house, they're robbing you blind. Might this be what's going on?

Old 06-22-05, 05:32 PM
shadowwalk22
Visiting Guest
Thanks for the responses. I'm sorry it took so long to reply. ElectricMan, you misunderstood. I did not say they gave me a statement, but that when I called the Energy Services, the man told me they had an "order that was issued to cut it." This "loop" was put there with ConEd's knowledge by the people fixing the property prior to my sister's buying the house, with everyone knowing what's happening and allowing it to happen.

Last edited by John Nelson; 06-22-05 at 09:12 PM. Reason: Inappropriate content