unexplainable tripping GFCI

Old 05-24-05, 11:51 AM
unexplainable tripping GFCI

I recently added a 12-2 circuit to an existing 20 amp GFCI protected circuit that had 3 recepticles. I ran the new circuit off the last recepticle in the existing series but now the breaker trips. I added 6 recepticles and all appear to be grounded/connected properly. I did run a light through a switch from a junction box which feeds the recepticles. Have I a created a situation with a dual neutral or is there something else causing my problem? If I replace the GFCI with a standard breaker it holds with no problem, but I don't want to create a safety hazard as the orginal 3 plugs are outdoors. I can eleminate the dual neutral situation by running my light switch off of a recepticle rather than making it hot in the junction box if that will solve the problem.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-24-05, 12:21 PM
You obviously made some mistake somewhere. Please describe how you added this light. Something is wrong.

And yes, it needs to be corrected.

Old 05-24-05, 12:24 PM
Gfci

From the last recepticle in the existing circuit I ran a new wire into a newly constructed storage building. I brought this wire into a junction box and in turn ran a continuous wire for my new recepticles. I ran a seperate wire out of the junction box to a switch and susequently to a light.

Old 05-24-05, 01:10 PM
You still didn't answer my question, but that's okay. I am asking how you explicitly connected all the wires.

Check all your connections. Somewhere you either shorted the neutral and ground together, or perhaps you didn't properly connect to the LOAD side of the GFCI receptacle you tapped.

Old 05-24-05, 02:40 PM
I used a GFIC breaker instead of a plug so that isnt the problem. The light is connected in the junction box to the run from the orginal boxes/circuit through a switch, black to black, white to white and ground to ground. The switch is in the black wire and grounded the light fixture is simple ceramic with no ground screw.
All the plugs are wired to the orginal run in the junction box also, correctly black to brass screw and white to silver screw, ground to green screw. A ground wire may have been pushed into a neutral screw when I put the recepticles back in the boxes, I can check that to see.

I appreciate your help and any suggestions.

Old 05-25-05, 06:57 AM
Smile

Thanks for all the help, got it fixed. a ground wire had made contact with one of the neutrals.

Old 05-25-05, 07:00 AM
Glad to hear that you found the problem. Thanks for posting your findings.

Bare ground wires are an issue. You have to really be careful that they are pushed far enough back in the box to be out of the way. This is one reason that many of us prefer large boxes whenever possible.