grounding problem

Old 05-24-05, 05:59 PM
section107
Visiting Guest
Talking grounding problem

I need a little help toubleshooting an electrical problem in my house. I have a wall receptacle that is connected to a wall switch. When the switch is on, the receptacle is grounded...but when the switch is off, the receptacle is not grounded. What could some possible reasons be? thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-24-05, 06:11 PM
How are you determining this?
It could be that the neutral is being switched.

Old 05-24-05, 06:54 PM
I would think that a switched neutral would not show as an open ground.

Yes, please describe your test. My guess is that it is flawed.

Old 05-25-05, 10:23 AM
section107
Visiting Guest
I used a receptacle tester - the kind with three lights that you plug into a receptacle. When the switch was on the tester indicated a "correct" wiring. When the switch was off, the test indicated "hot/grd reverse".

Taking a clue from the first response, I checked out the wiring on the switch. Sure enough, the neutral had been switched. I rewired the switch so the hot wires are switched and the neutral wires are connected.

New problem...when the switch is on the tester indicates "correct" - however, now when the switch is off the tester indicates "open hot". HELP! Please!

Old 05-25-05, 10:42 AM
An 'open hot' means that the hot wire has been disconnected from the supply...for example, by the _switch_. When the switch is _off_, then you _should_ have an 'open hot'.

I'd suggest that you go out and buy the book 'Wiring Simplified'. Your little electrical tester is worse than useless if you don't know how to interpret what it means. The tester can indicate 'correct' when things are dangerously broken, and can indicate problems when things are perfectly fine, and the only way to know is to have an understanding of what is happening behind the tester.

-Jon

Old 05-25-05, 06:26 PM
Open hot means the switch is off. What are you expecting it to indicate when the switch is off?

Old 05-25-05, 10:57 PM
Sounds like everything is now fine. Congratulations on correcting this hazard.