Large box, 7 lines

Old 05-24-05, 07:28 PM
Large box, 7 lines

I bought a house to rehab a few weeks ago, and it's got a box I don't understand entirely. This house has an addition, porch turned into two bedrooms actually, and I've got a situation that I need a little guidance on.

In one bedroom, one of the boxes for the receptacles has 3 outlets in it, only one of them worked. When I unscrewed them from the box one had two sets of leads to it, but the rest of the leads in the box were just sitting there, stripped but not attached to anything. The receptacles are pretty old and shabby and I'm going to replace them but want to make sure I'm hooking up correctly.

Of the 7 lines, ONLY ONE IS HOT, I know that the other one hooked to the hot receptacle is for the overhead light because when I unhooked it I lost power there.

I'm guessing the remaining 5 should be hooked to the other two receptacles, and then run a jumper from the hot one to the next and then the third one? Or would it be better to change to a single receptacle in a single plastic box
and then jumper from the hot to the other 5 and put them in a (black? or whatever size) connector.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Frank

Sponsored Links
Old 05-24-05, 08:23 PM
When dealing with a situation like this, it would be dangerous to guess. And from the information you have now, guessing is all you've go. To do this right, it's necessary to figure out where each of those wires comes from, and what it is attached to there. This can be done with a lot of time-consuming testing. You need the big picture--you can't solve this safely without it. From what you've seen so far, it seems likely that there is a lot of stuff wrong.