Driving a ground rod

Old 05-25-05, 12:32 PM
Driving a ground rod

What type of tool, besides a sledge hammer, do electricians use to drive 5/8" x 8' ground rods?

Thank you & regards,
Mike

Sponsored Links
Old 05-25-05, 01:26 PM
I recommend using a slide hammer so you can maintain better control. Sledge hammers can create glancing blows.

Old 05-25-05, 01:42 PM
Mike_P,

We use a post hole driver alot....it slides over the rod and you slam it up and down and really does do a good job and easier than a sledge hammer....wish I had a dollar for every handle my helpers broke along the years..( you notice I say helpers.....fact I am guilty of it back in the early days..tehehhe )

Another method my partner uses at our other firm is a large hammer drill that accepts 1 1/2 inch bits....he hooks it on the top and leaves it....in about 2 hours the rod is down........works for him but I have not had success at it...lol....so we use the sliding post driver......

Old 05-25-05, 01:52 PM
spline drive hammer drill set on hammer only. Or I have driven them with a bucket of water. Dig your starter hole, pour some water in the bottom, start "pogoing" the ground rod until the water is gone, add more water, repeat until you can't drive the rod any further. You should be able to get the rod driven at least half way before you have to change to a sledge.

Old 05-25-05, 01:53 PM
Originally Posted by ElectricalMan
Another method my partner uses at our other firm is a large hammer drill that accepts 1 1/2 inch bits....he hooks it on the top and leaves it....in about 2 hours the rod is down........works for him but I have not had success at it...lol....so we use the sliding post driver......
I have put in several with a spline drive hammer drill and it only took a couple of minutes. Maybe he needs to put a little pressure on the drill....

Old 05-25-05, 02:09 PM
scott e.,

I think so also Scott......but you have to know my brother...tehehhe...he can milk a 1/2 hour job into a 6 hour change order. I think now he uses a heavy model and I have not had a chance to see it in a few weeks but he stopped complaining about it once he go that new hammer drill....so you are probably right.

For mine I just use the old post hole slammer and it gets it done in minutes myself unless we hit something hard....lol..then we PRAY!

Old 05-26-05, 12:37 PM
I drill a hole with a 60" long 1/2" bit. Then, if I have power (to run my compressor) I use a palm nailer to drive it the rest of the way. If that doesn't work, I use a sledge hammer to drive it the rest of the way. To remove them, I chuck the rod into my "hole hawg" drill and spin it out.

Old 05-29-05, 09:34 AM
txdiyguy,

"To remove them, I chuck the rod into my "hole hawg" drill and spin it out."

Not me buddy...lol...once they are driven they are part of that LAND until time moves on...lol.....I have never tried to remove one.....not sure I want to ever try