Wiring from Sub Panel to Main Panel

Old 05-25-05, 06:40 PM
Wiring from Sub Panel to Main Panel

I have #6 (4 conductors) in 1-1/2" gray plastic pipe underground from the sub panel in a detached garage back to the outside wall of the main panel.

Does the 4 wires have to be in plastic pipe going from the outside wall to the main panel?
I have a problem with a corner and the plastic pipe in this size has no elbow that I could use.

Any suggestions?

Sponsored Links
Old 05-25-05, 09:45 PM
The wires cannot be exposed anywhere. But PVC conduit is not the only option. And I'm sure that missing elbow is sold somewhere.

Old 05-26-05, 04:42 AM
Skeeterman,

If you are trying to turn a sharp corner you may wish to use a LB box to assist you in the pull as well. Also the 90 degree PVC is sold freely at any electrical supply store and I am sure their is one in your area.

Old 05-26-05, 06:16 AM
Thanks for the information here.
I have three 90 degree PVC elbows, plus one LB box, however the problem is the wall of the main service panel is on. The wall the panel is on is above the concrete apron, so I couldn't come up from that area. I instead chose the side (wall) nearest the service panel, thinking I could get a sharp 90 degree elbow to make the corner in the studding.

I could continue up into the area above and over and across and down the wall.

Old 05-26-05, 07:25 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Another thing to keep in mind is that you may only have 4 elbows (90 degree) per conduit run without having a pull box. An LB counts as a pull box.