200 amp parallel meter base

Old 05-26-05, 05:41 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
200 amp parallel meter base

A 200 amp parallel meter base is presently feeding a 200 amp service in the house.
A unattached garage has been built.
This 200 amp parallel meter base cannot feed a 60 0r 100 amp service in that garage also, can it? Would it not require a 320 amp parallel meter base?
Wouldn't the correct thing to do is, feed the garage from the house main? The load on house service is light and there is several spaces still available in that service.
Thanks ahead of time

Sponsored Links
Old 05-26-05, 05:47 AM
Bobd,

Please explain more in regards to your " Parrallel Meter Base " as if you are only servicing the existing house on the property I am not sure I follow you in regards to a Parallel Meter Base.....anyway it is better to feed your detached garage from the Main panel in my opinion....

Just remember you can run (3) wire from the panel but you will need to drive a ground rod at the detached garage.

I am sure others will elaborate more and I will also later as I am late for a job site walkthrough but basically my opinion is you would be better off feeding a sub-panel from the main panel and it removes the UTLY company from the equation.

P.S. As long as your panel is sized to handle it and we can't know that unless you let us know the loads in question.

Old 05-26-05, 04:23 PM
Thanks for the reply Eman. Sorry to be so confusing. Let me explain what has happened here. A few years ago someone updated an old service to a 200amp, in this house. The customer told them that later on he was going to build a garage so they put a 200 amp parallel meter base in and told him he could hook up to the extra lugs when he ran service to the garage. Now he has built his garage and wants to put in a 100 amp service in the garage, I told him 60 amp would be plenty for what he wants to do in the garage.
My thinking is that when they installed the 200 amp service in the house, that the meters limits are exhausted, and they should have installed a 320 amp parallel base. (If it was going to be hooked up at the meter base)
I realize they will probably never be using over 200 amps at any one time, but to me that doesn't matter, the possibility is there. Am I all wet?

Old 05-27-05, 01:02 PM
The sum of the mains all drawing directly from the meter need to be not greater than 200 amps, unless the POCO allows for an overload based on diversity (but I think that is already accounted for in the fact that the 200 amps is just a peak load and the meter is probably rated for no more than 160 amps continuous). So I think the better solution for now is a 60 amp branch in the main panel to feed the garage (which can still have a 100 amp panel for future capacity some day when the meter is changed out to a 320/400).

Old 05-27-05, 03:02 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 35 Votes on 30 Posts
Generally speaking, unless there is a local exception to the NEC, a seperate sevice would still need a disconnect near the main panel as all services need to be grouped.

There are exceptions to this rule by I am assuming this is not one.

Old 05-27-05, 05:06 PM
Thank you all very much. Truly appreciated.
Bob

Old 05-27-05, 05:38 PM
I agree with Skap........just be sure to size the feeds to the sub-panel from the main panel for 100A and the future even if you feed it with a breaker at 60 Amps....you can always protect less than the rating of the wire...just not the other way around ( unless code specifies for it..ie motors and so on )

I do not like the idea of this Parallel 200A issue as 200A is 200A and as someone stated unless the UTLY is allowing over rating of the meter cab I do not see tapping the meter cab as a option....just my opinion.