220v compressor

Old 05-26-05, 09:25 AM
theinterceptor
Visiting Guest
220v compressor

I have just purchased an older 220v compressor. It has about 10' of cord w. no plug attached. I would like to know if I can use a plug to work using my dryer's 4 prong receptacle (30 amp breaker). The compressor is 220v, 15 amp and has 3 wires (black, white and green). I'm assuming black and white are hot and green is ground (no neutral).

Thanks, Jack

Sponsored Links
Old 05-26-05, 09:38 AM
As long as the compressor manual says that a 30-amp circuit is the correct size, then yes you can. But it sounds like you've already determined that this compressor requires a 15-amp circuit. If so, then no you can't.

Old 05-26-05, 10:13 AM
theinterceptor
Visiting Guest
220v compressor...cont'd

Hello John:

The 15 amp spec was taken from the compressor motor. I had read that you need to allow 1.5 times that for "surge" when compressor is started up. Don't know if that is true or not. If so, wouldn't the 30 amp line be ok? I will try to find some info for the compressor (Campbell- Hausfield) online.

Jack

Old 05-26-05, 12:15 PM
This is a specfic type of Branch-Circuit, an "Individual Motor" B-C , which is designed in accordance with NEC requirements applicable to such circuits.

The important factor is the Full-Load Current of the motor which determines the rating of the circuit-breaker and the ampacity of the circuit conductors. In general,Motors have a Horse-Power "rating" and a Full-Load Current "value".

If possible, determine from the motor name-plate, the H-P rating and the Full-Load Current value. The rating of the Circuit-Breaker = FLC X 2.50.Because of certain "sales-gimmicks", compressors are often described or presented with a H-P rating in excess of the actual, or "true" H-P rating.

The NEC requires that a name-plate with the exact motor characteristics be affixed to the motor. Conseqently,it's best to base you'r design on the N-P info ONLY .

Good Luck & Enjoy the Experience!!!!!!!!11

Old 05-26-05, 02:23 PM
theinterceptor
Visiting Guest
Update...

Taken from the motor plate:

HP: 3.0 SPL
AMPS:15
VOLTS:230

This compressor may be 15-20 years old and so I have not been able to get any additional info on the internet or from C.H.

Jack

Old 05-27-05, 12:15 PM
Yes, this individual motor-circuit can be protected by a 30-amp breaker. #12 copper wire can be used for the circuit conductors.

Good Luck & Enjoy the Experience!!!!