rewiring a half hot switch

Old 05-28-05, 12:44 PM
rewiring a half hot switch

am having trouble figuring out a half hot plug that isn't working anymore. i have three(3) three strand wires running into the box. had one black to top right receptical. white from that strand nutted together with the other two blacks and run to bottom right receptical. other two whites nutted together to bottom left receptical. grounds are all together to ground pole (the only thing i figure for sure that's right). did i mention that i've seperated the wires and am not sure what went where?

Sponsored Links
Old 05-28-05, 01:18 PM
What you need to do now is to figure out what goes where. You should not have undone the wires, or at least taken good notes, but it's apparently too late for that.

Do you have a simple tester, or any test equipment?

By the way, there is no such thing as right and left for a receptacle, as they can be installed either end up. The brass screws are the hot screws, and the silver screws are the neutral screws.

One set of black and white wires is the incoming power. You need to identify which this is.

One set of black and white wires makes a switch loop to the switch. You need to figure out which it is.

The other set of black and white wires goes to another receptacle or device on the circuit. You need to figure out which this is.

Connect the incoming power white wire to either silver screw. Connect white wire that goes to the next receptacle to the other silver screw. Connect the black wire that goes to the switch to one of the brass screws, for either the top or bottom of the receptacle, whichever you want to be switched. Connect the white wire that goes to the switch and the other two black wires to the other brass screw. This will require you to use a pigtail and a wire nut. Connect all ground wires to the ground terminal and to the metal box. This will require a wire nut and at least one pigtail.

Old 05-29-05, 03:10 AM
And remove the tab between the two brass screws or the switched receptacle not turn off with thw switch.

Old 05-29-05, 09:31 AM
zoobug,

Ok, start with the Quote below.....

"white from that strand nutted together with the other two blacks and run to bottom right receptical"

Did you remove the wirenut as well or do you STILL have the above statement to be true or did you remove those wirenuts...and if you did not sure why.....would not have been needed just to remove the recept, just the pigtail running to the " bottom right recept. " BTW which is the constant HOT part of your switched recept.

Old 05-30-05, 07:38 AM
Thumbs up thanks

thanks 4 the help, got it all back together and working. my girlfriend still thinks i can do anything. talk to you all on my next project, thanks again, zoobug