installing a timer

Old 05-29-05, 04:07 PM
handyprincess
Visiting Guest
installing a timer

I am trying to install a Intermatic SS8 digital timer to control my outdoor lights. Am I able to twist together the copper wires from my home to the aluminum wires in the timer? Also, there is no place to connect the ground wire to the timer. What do I do with it?

Sponsored Links
Old 05-29-05, 05:14 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 35 Votes on 30 Posts
Make sure all power is off to switch before making any changes or connections. If you are replacing a single pole switch just connect one wire to one of the black leads on the timer, connect the other wire to the blue wire on the timer.

If there is no terminal for the ground wire just tuck it into the back of the box.

Link for instruction sheet http://www.intermatic.com/images/ins...158ss11366.pdf

Old 05-29-05, 05:36 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Unless you pulled this timer out of a 40-year-old box, it is extremely unlikely that the timer wires are really aluminum, even if they look aluminum-colored. Most likely they are tinned copper. Look carefully at the cut end of each wire to see if there is a speck of copper color. Or scrape a bit of the tinning off to expose the copper color.