Mr. Coffee works everywhere but here.

Old 05-30-05, 10:10 AM
deera
Visiting Guest
Mr. Coffee works everywhere but here.

I just bought a programmable Mr. Coffee (DR series). It doesn't seem to work in my apartment. I've tried every outlet including the ones which my fridge and stove are plugged into. I took it over to a friend's place and plugged into an outlet there and it works perfectly.

The LED clock just flashes rapidly. I can't set the time. If I fidget with the plug in the outlet it works, but only for a minute or two.

Mystery: It is plugged into the same outlet as my toaster oven. When the toaster oven is on, the flashing stops...

Any ideas on what might be wrong?

Thanks,
Dee

Sponsored Links
Old 05-30-05, 11:47 AM
Some sort of problem with voltage on your apartment. Perhaps too high. This can only be determined with test equipment. Suggest you call landlord.

Old 05-30-05, 11:50 AM
When you say that you plugged it into the same receptacle as the fridge, does that mean that you unplugged the fridge and plugged it into the same half of the same receptacle? Or does it mean you plugged it into the other half of the duplex receptacle that the fridge is plugged into?

Old 05-31-05, 03:44 AM
deera
Visiting Guest
Originally Posted by John Nelson
When you say that you plugged it into the same receptacle as the fridge, does that mean that you unplugged the fridge and plugged it into the same half of the same receptacle? Or does it mean you plugged it into the other half of the duplex receptacle that the fridge is plugged into?
I tried both but the screen continues to flicker.

It is now plugged into the same outlet as the toaster oven. If I want to brew a cup of coffee - I turn on the toaster, not the oven, and use it on the "dark" setting.

Old 05-31-05, 06:37 AM
deera, any chance you live in Canada?

This sounds like it could be a problem with a shared neutral circuit. I suggest you call a pro in to investigate. Leaving it as in risks damaging all your kitchen appliances.

Old 05-31-05, 08:23 AM
deera
Visiting Guest
Actually I live in Boston, MA. I guess I'll call the landlord.

Thanks for your prompt response.

Dee