Outlets do not work

Old 05-27-05, 12:56 PM
N5hua
Visiting Guest
Outlets do not work

i have a problem with all my outlets in the garage not working, they worked a couple weeks ago, what should I do?

Old 05-27-05, 12:58 PM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
What have you tried doing and what have you looked for?

It could be tripped breaker or blown fuse. It could be a tripped GFCI breaker. It could be a failed connection at a receptacle.

Old 05-27-05, 02:59 PM
J
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
The problems Bob has highlighted are all possibilities. My money is on the tripped GFCI.

Old 05-31-05, 04:52 AM
N5hua
Visiting Guest
What do I do to test to see if it is?

I have no idea about electrical matters so I really don't know what you are talking about! How do i take care of the problem? I tried to shutoff breaker and turn it on again, nothing happened!

Last edited by N5hua; 05-31-05 at 04:54 AM. Reason: To answer question, and spelling
Old 05-31-05, 05:07 AM
C
Look for a receptical that has a TEST and RESET button on it. Press the reset button and test the recepticals again.

Old 05-31-05, 05:13 AM
R
A GFCI is a device that provides protection from accidental electrocution. GFCI stands for Ground Fault Circuit Interrupter. There are GFCI circuit breakers, GFCI receptacles, and GFCI extension cords.

They work by sensing the current on both the hot and neutral wires. When that current differs by a certain amount the GFCI trips, and shuts off the circuit.

Because of the safety they provide, GFCI protection is required in the US for new construction or in remodeling for certain areas of the house. These areas include receptacles kitchen counters, bathrooms, garages, unfinished basements and outside. They are also required for circuits serving swimming pools and hot tubs.

After a GFCI trips, it must be reset. A GFCI breaker is reset by turning it off and then on. A GFCI receptacle and a GFCI extension cord are reset by pushing a reset button. The devices will not reset if a fault is still present.

These devices also have a test button, and they should be tested on a regular basis. It is recommended to test them monthly. The test button is on the breaker, or on the face of the receptacle or on the extension cord.

Look for one of these devices (most likely a receptacle) in your garage. Look everywhere. Make sure to look behind boxes and whatever else you have along the walls. Also look in the basement and outside the house.

John and I are both betting you have a GFCI receptacle somewhere that is tripped.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: