Wire in Wall creates stuck drill bit

Old 05-30-05, 04:59 PM
robyinco
Visiting Guest
Unhappy Wire in Wall creates stuck drill bit

I am putting in a home theater, retro fitting wire into the walls. As I drilled inside the wall trying to get a hole into a crawl space the drill bit (four feet long rod with drill bit on the end for this purpose) is now stuck in the floor. It won't move up or down. Any ideas how to get it out so I can continue the project?

Sponsored Links
Old 05-30-05, 05:12 PM
I would think someone in the electrical forum would be able to help you out

Old 05-30-05, 06:47 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Take vise grips and see if you can turn the bit back and forth. If you can get it to turn you should be able to get it out by using forward and reverse on the drill.

p.s. Welcome to the forum

Old 05-30-05, 08:59 PM
Super Moderator
Smile Welcome robyinco!

Is the type of bit you have is one that has the flutes or spiral grooves running up the bit for a couple of inches and the remaining shaft solid?
If so this bit is not meant to drill through material that is thicker that the depth of the flutes.
If you do drill thicker material then you must repeatedly pull the bit from the hole to clear the wood chips.
It is possible that the wood chips have jammed into the flutes causing it to sieze.

You can try to do as suggested and use vice grips to try to back the bit out although the shaft on this type of bit is not very strong and breaking it is a possibility.

I'll move this to electrical as I'm sure this is nothing new to them.