Replacing Fixtures

Old 05-31-05, 11:53 AM
Toyman
Visiting Guest
Replacing Fixtures

I was looking at new ceiling light fixtures for my home and most of the fixtures have the information with the light that warns that the supply conductors must be a minimum of 90 degrees C. Otherwise there is a fire risk. My house was built in the 1960's and has type TW wire which I believe is rated at 60 degrees C. Other than new wires for the house, is there a way to use these fixtures and be safe ? What changed in these fixtures that is different from the ones now in my house? I also would like to install recessed lights in some rooms and they also have thae same warning.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-31-05, 12:52 PM
There are several options. Short of rewiring, here are the main two:
  1. Find different fixtures. Many but not all fixtures these days require 90-degree wire. Ones that don't are typically those where the bulbs are held some distance away from the wall or ceiling.
  2. Replace the last couple of feet of wire with modern cable. There are several ways to do this. If there is an accessible attic above this room, you can install an extra junction box a couple of feet from the existing one, and splice old wire to new in the junction box, using the new wire to feed the old box. If there is no accessible attic, you can accomplish the same thing from below, but you will end up with a visible (but hardly noticeable) blank cover plate on the ceiling where the new box is.