Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Electrical, AC & DC. Electronic Equipment and Computers > Electrical - AC & DC
Reload this Page >

Outlets running from breaker not working...breaker not the problem...

Old 05-31-05, 02:20 PM
pdawg17
Visiting Guest

I was using a belt sander the other day and I accidently pulled on the cord and the plug came halfway out and it tripped the breaker...tried to reset the breaker with no luck...none of the receptacles off of that breaker work now...even replaced the breaker but it still immediately trips again...I believe these receptacles are in series so should I try swapping the GFCI receptacle out? Is there any way I can try to confirm it before taking it out? I have also made sure there are no other receptacles on the line that are tripped (if I'm missing one, it would need to be tripped earlier on in the series right? A tripped receptacle after the problem shouldn't matter?)...thanks...

Sponsored Links
Old 05-31-05, 02:31 PM
When you said "no luck", does that mean that resetting the breaker does not restore power? Or that you cannot reset the breaker at all?

If the former, then you probably just need to reset the GFCI. Or, worst case, replace it.

If the latter, then you caused a short, probably in the outlet where your sander was plugged in. Shut off the breaker, pull the receptacle out of the box, and rewire it. Make sure you don't short anything out repacking the box.

Old 05-31-05, 02:37 PM
pdawg17
Visiting Guest
When I try to reset the breaker, it immediately trips again (doesn't stay in the "on" position)...so then I should rewire the receptacle? If so, what do you mean by "rewire"? You mean that when it shorts, something comes loose? Thanks...I'm a nOOb with this stuff...

Old 05-31-05, 02:47 PM
Shut off the breaker. Gently pull the receptacle out of the box. Carefully examine the receptacle and wiring for scortch marks. Tighten all the screws. See if you can reset the breaker with the receptacle pulled out. If so, shut off the breaker again and repack the box carefully, making sure that the grounding wire does not come into contact with any of the screws, and that none of the screws come into contact with the box.

Old 05-31-05, 03:19 PM
pdawg17
Visiting Guest
Just curious...what if I can't reset the breaker with it pulled out? I want to have a few things to try because I might not have your help later tonight when I get home from work

Old 05-31-05, 04:14 PM
you might have a new receptacle handy so you can replace the old one if there's any doubt about its serviceability. Also look carefully at the wiring in the box - there may be wire nuts holding 2 or 3 wires together with a pigtail (single wire) to the receptacle. Make sure those are tight and that one of the wires didn't pull out and is dangling in the wind.

your problem is somewhere in that box - be meticulous and careful and you'll prevail.

btw - if you do replace the receptacle pay attention to the 'white' and 'black' markings; and be sure to get the ground (green) wire connected. and always test the circuit before you shove everything back into the box - then test again.

-art-

Old 05-31-05, 04:42 PM
When you pulled the receptacle out you likely shorted the hot wire to either the ground or to the neutral.

Either short would cause enough current to flow to trip the breaker. In theory a short to ground should also have tripped the GFCI. However, it's possible that the GFCI is mis-wired, so that this receptacle is not on it or that it didn't trip when it should have.

Follow the advice given and check the wiring of the receptacle in question. When you have things working again, test the GFCI and make sure that it properly protects downstream receptacles (like the one you're dealing with). If it doesn't work then correct the wiring error or replace the GFCI.

Old 05-31-05, 04:50 PM
pdawg17
Visiting Guest
Originally Posted by racraft
When you pulled the receptacle out you likely shorted the hot wire to either the ground or to the neutral.

Either short would cause enough current to flow to trip the breaker. In theory a short to ground should also have tripped the GFCI. However, it's possible that the GFCI is mis-wired, so that this receptacle is not on it or that it didn't trip when it should have.

Follow the advice given and check the wiring of the receptacle in question. When you have things working again, test the GFCI and make sure that it properly protects downstream receptacles (like the one you're dealing with). If it doesn't work then correct the wiring error or replace the GFCI.
Just to clarify, I didn't pull the receptacle out - the plug came halfway out of the receptacle and that's when it shorted...the receptacle itself didn't move at all...just in case that makes a difference...I'll check the receptacle when I get home from work...

Old 05-31-05, 06:48 PM
When you tried to reset the breaker, did you first push it all the way to OFF, then try to push it to ON? If not, do that. Many breakers cannot be moved to the ON position directly from the TRIPPED position. They have to be moved to OFF first.

Old 06-02-05, 08:01 AM
pdawg17
Visiting Guest
Well, my problem ended up being the old "wires touching and shorting each other out" problem...I pulled the receptacle out of the box and then it worked fine...carefully put it back in and now everything works ...glad it wasn't a lot of work Thanks for everyone's suggestions...

Old 06-02-05, 09:11 AM
I hope you did a little more than just push the wires back into that box.