103 volts at switch?

Old 05-31-05, 08:21 PM
103 volts at switch?

I have a strange situation, I have a circuit that feeds the pantry and a ceiling fan in the kitchen and some other overhead lights. The light in the pantry went out a few days ago and I changed the bulb, but the light still did not work. The bulb is good, I tried it in another light. The voltage at the breaker reads 110 volts, but when I check it at the switch for the pantry light it reads 103 volts. Any ideal what this could mean?

Thanks,

Sponsored Links
Old 05-31-05, 08:31 PM
I don't know what kind of test instrument you used, nor how you used it, but that 103 volt reading is almost certainly a red herring. You probably have a simple open circuit somewhere, caused by a connection that has failed. The failure is often a backstabbed connection (wire poked into a hole in a receptacle or switch). The only way to find it is a methodical search of all the boxes on the circuit. A visual inspection is unreliable, so remaking the connections (moving backstabs to adjacent screws) and replacing wire nuts is a better approach. I would also check around to see if you have anything else that doesn't work.

Old 06-01-05, 06:18 AM
Thanks for the response, I will try tracing the circuit and check all the connections.