How to get an additional outlet on a wire.

Old 06-02-05, 04:34 PM
rmalghan
Visiting Guest

Hi: I have a outdoor light on a pole in front of my house. There is a junction box outside where a wire to the light runs. I want to connect a low-voltage transformer for connecting some outdoor lights. The transformer has a standard 120V PIN plug. Can someone provide suggestion on how I can connect this plug to the live wire in the junction box? The transformer output is 12V and 121W Max.

So the connection I have now is like this
A live 120V wire coming to the junction box-connected to the wire going to the light pole using a wire nut

The transformer for the outdoor light has a stand plug.

Should I cut the transformers wire and just attach it to the existing connection wire nut is holding?

Thanks
Ravi

Old 06-02-05, 04:36 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
What turns the light on and off?

Old 06-02-05, 05:26 PM
rmalghan
Visiting Guest

Originally Posted by John Nelson
What turns the light on and off?
John: the existing light pole has a sensor which turns on the light when it gets dark.

The transformer for the outdoor lights I am installing has a clock with a timer.

Thanks
Ravi

Old 06-02-05, 05:34 PM
R
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Put a receptacle in this juction box, install an in use cover on the receptacle and plug the transformer in.

Old 06-03-05, 05:18 AM
rmalghan
Visiting Guest
Originally Posted by racraft
Put a receptacle in this juction box, install an in use cover on the receptacle and plug the transformer in.
What is a "in use cover".

Thanks

Old 06-03-05, 06:34 AM
J
An in-use cover is like a big plastic bubble. It's designed to allow you to leave something plugged in all the time, and yet have it weatherproof. Depending on the size of your transformer, I'm not sure whether or not you'll be able to find one that will cover it.

Old 06-03-05, 06:44 AM
rmalghan
Visiting Guest
Originally Posted by John Nelson
An in-use cover is like a big plastic bubble. It's designed to allow you to leave something plugged in all the time, and yet have it weatherproof. Depending on the size of your transformer, I'm not sure whether or not you'll be able to find one that will cover it.
So you think an electrician at local home depot should be able to show me a receptacle and the in-use cover.

Thanks

Old 06-03-05, 06:51 AM
J
An electrician at Home Depot? You might find one, but don't count on it.

But, yes, an associate in the electrical aisle at Home Depot should at least be competent enough to show you how to find their merchandise.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: