switch question


Old 06-04-05, 01:57 PM
Visiting Guest
Posts: n/a
switch question

Can I use a 3 way switch to replace a single switch, just leaving the common terminal empty?
Sponsored Links
Old 06-04-05, 03:44 PM
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Connecticut USA
Posts: 144
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Yes, but the light will never come on.

Leave one of the travellers terminals un-connected.
Old 06-04-05, 04:27 PM
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 132
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Connecting the power feed to the common terminal and the switch leg to one of the other two terminals will make the switch function like a single pole. You should really only do this if you can't get your hands on a single pole switch for whatever reason.
Old 06-05-05, 10:08 AM
ElectricalMan's Avatar
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Harrisonburg
Posts: 744
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
lol...Bolted.....thats funny stuff...lol....

Anyway...Lou..yes you can but not sure why since a single pole might set you back about 78 cents at a local mega hardware store but just use the common and one of the other ( traveler ) screws.

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Display Modes
Ask a Question
Question Title:
Your question will be posted in: