wiring basement

Old 06-04-05, 09:47 PM
wiring basement

I just finished redoing the walls in the basement.I put in all new electrical boxes in the walls running the conduit to the ceiling Where can I find out how to wire the outlets in the wall and how many outlets can be on a 15 amp breaker.I want to run the wiring directly to the box

Sponsored Links
Old 06-05-05, 02:27 AM
Originally Posted by gbpack1950
I just finished redoing the walls in the basement.I put in all new electrical boxes in the walls running the conduit to the ceiling Where can I find out how to wire the outlets in the wall and how many outlets can be on a 15 amp breaker.I want to run the wiring directly to the box

First, your municipal code will establish whether you need to extend the conduit to your load center. Usually THHN wire is used in conduit, though you could use a single run of NM. Depending on your wiring code, you should connect each of the runs you have started to a feed wire from your load center. You will probably need a junction box for each location where conduit comes into the ceiling. In basements, putting a GFCI receptacle in the first box in a chain of receptacles is usually a good idea.

You can find a how to on this site that will explain wiring receptacles and light fixtures. Also most home centers carry books in the $12-20 range that provide good illustrated examples that will answer each of your questions and give you some help in planning your circuits. This is a good investment for the safety and help it will provide.

The number of receptacles or fixtures on a circuit isn't the primary issue, but how much load you will connect to these receptacles. An air conditioner that was drawing 18 amps on a single-receptacle 15 amp circuit would overload it. Having twenty receptacles with twenty table lamps, each with an 18 watt fluorescent might not meet all codes, but would not be unsafe.

Old 06-05-05, 04:16 AM
If I were you, the first thing I would do is to buy the book Wiring Simplified. It will help you tremendously in this endeavor and in others where electricity is involved.

Conduit may not have been necessary, and may have been a waste of money. Depending on what you want to do, you may have to, or want to, remove it.

I would go with 12 gage wire and use a 20 amp breaker. There is no reason to use a 15 amp breaker for new installation.

There is no limit to the number of receptacles on a 15 amp or 20 amp circuit. The number to use depends on what you intend to plug into those receptacles.

If NM type cable is allowed, then I would use it. Is this a finished basement or unfinished basement? No GFCI is required for a finished basement. But you could still use on if you want to.

I would make all your connection in the junction boxes where the receptacles are installed. There is no reason to install additional junction boxes, and doing so may be undesirable, as they have to remain permanently accessible.