Breaker Sizes

Old 06-03-05, 02:51 PM
Stealth
Visiting Guest
Breaker Sizes

Hello i was wondering if anyone knows what the difference is in the 1" breakers and 1/2" are and also

what size receptacle you should use in bedrooms and new kitchen.

here are what i am looking to install

bedroom 1

6 - receptacle

1- receptacle for AC

1 - Ceiling Fan

Bedroom 2

4 - receptacle

1 - Ceiling Fan

New Kitchen

Dishwasher

Garbage Disposal

Microwave Build in but it is a 120 volt.

5 maybe 6 receptacle

1 - Ceiling Fan

What i am looking for is what size breakers to uses either 15 amps or 20 amps to.
Hope i didn't lose anyone or not make sence.

Old 06-03-05, 03:05 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
In general, 1" and 1/2" breakers are equivalent. Not all panels, and not all spaces in the panel, accept 1/2" breakers. The label in the panel will tell you if and where they are allowed.

Much of what you ask is covered by very specific codes. If you don't already own the $6 green paperback Wiring Simplified, buy it.

In all of the places you mentioned, you are allowed to use 20-amp breakers. In some of them, you are also allowed to use 15-amp breakers. So the safe choice is all 20-amp breakers.

The bedroom A/C should probably have its own circuit, separate from the circuit serving the other receptacles in the bedroom. Bedroom circuits in most places of the U.S. require an AFCI breaker.

In the kitchen, it is preferred to give the dishwasher and disposal their own individual circuits, but you may put them on the same circuit if you want. The built-in microwave should also get an individual circuit. It is recommended to give the refrigerator its own circuit as well.

Code is extremely picky about the placement receptacles serving the countertop in a kitchen. GFCI protection is required on all of them.

Everything you mention is highly regulated by code. Study the codes carefully before beginning. This is no place to get creative.

Old 06-03-05, 03:11 PM
J
Received 515 Upvotes on 420 Posts
The difference between the 1 inch and 1/2 inch breakers is a 1/2 inch.

Sorry
It was too easy.
I couldn't resist.

Old 06-03-05, 07:24 PM
Stealth
Visiting Guest
don't think i have heard of this book Wiring Simplified

Old 06-03-05, 08:00 PM
J
It's available in the electrical aisle of most Home Depot stores. Best $6 you'll ever spend.

Old 06-04-05, 07:04 AM
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Yep......costs less than the StarWars Movie and can save your life......Get the Book...

Old 06-04-05, 09:27 PM
Stealth
Visiting Guest
went out looking for this book no luck at lowes or the home depo

Old 06-05-05, 05:50 PM
J
It's avaliable via Amazon.

I assume you checked the electrical aisle (in a bag, hanging on a peg) and not the book rack at Home Depot. For some reason, they sell it in the former but not the later location.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: