electric pool pump motor

Old 06-05-05, 04:16 PM
curt o.
Visiting Guest
Question electric pool pump motor

can anyone tell me what the difference in h.p. ratings for these motors example 3/4hp 1hp 2hp does the higher hp's require more electricity? also is the amp rating on the motors going to tell me energy consumption? ex, max amps 16/ 8.0 etc what does sf stand for on the data plates . thanks for your help, curt

Sponsored Links
Old 06-05-05, 04:49 PM
Yes, higher horsepower generally means more current and more power. Be aware that many horsepower numbers on the side of the box are marketing numbers, not engineering numbers, and marketing departments often get creative. The nameplate numbers are more reliable. Energy consumption is a function of the rate of usage and the length of usage. So a smaller motor might run longer and use as much or more energy than the larger motor.

"SF" sounds like an abbreviation for square feet, although I don't know what that would have to do with a pool pump. If I scan the electrical code for "SF", all I find "sulfur hexafluoride", and a type of cable used in elevators called "SF".

Old 06-05-05, 05:14 PM
curt o.
Visiting Guest
thanks john

for the help, on the data plate it lists amps 11.2/8.0 then sf 1.67 i have no clue what the sf stands for. i'm guessing amps are start up amps and run amps. but generally the higher the amps the more electricity used. correct?

Old 06-05-05, 05:24 PM
The higher the amps, the higher the rate of usage. As I said before, the total energy used is a function of both rate and time. If both pumps ran 24x7, the higher amp pump would use more energy, but these pumps don't run 24x7. Basically, you have a certain amount of work that needs to be done, and a given amount of work requires the same amount of energy independent of the rate of usage (give approximately equal efficiency motors).

Old 06-05-05, 05:57 PM
sf

startup factor?

Old 06-05-05, 06:25 PM
Service factor (SF) is a measure of continuous overload capacity at which a motor can operate without overload or damage, if the rated voltage, frequency and ambient temperature are with in normal spec.

HP x SF = HP overload capacity

Old 06-05-05, 06:53 PM
Thanks GWIZ.

Old 06-05-05, 07:50 PM
Yes, Service Factor is essentially a marketing gimmick. It is a way to take a motor which legitiamately would be maybe 3/4 HP and calling it a 1 HP, SF 1.

This is referred to as uprating. A full-rated 1HP motor would have a service factor of maybe 1.5

In replacing motors, you should use this rule: Multiply the old motor HP by its service factor. The same multiplication on the new motor must equal or exceed that number.

The HP of a pool pump should be sized to give the required gallons per minute needed for your pool. Too small is not good; too much is possibly OK but not necessary, and might increase chemical consumption.