How come nobody seems to make this?

Old 06-05-05, 07:07 PM
How come nobody seems to make this?

I mean - how hard can it be?

A kit that you would add to your car and switch it from the manual AC to automatic AC? It could be huge with aftermarket community.

I mean how hard can it be - you need a temperature sensor, some LCD or LED display for temperature setting, wire that with the normal manual switch so the circuit opens/closes based on the temperature set and - that's it? Draw power from 12 V someplace under the dash. I could be wrong but it seems pretty basic?

Anyone ever heard of something like it?

Sponsored Links
Old 06-05-05, 07:24 PM
I think it's because most people find that the manual A/C already works well enough. I assume, however, that that "most" does not include you.

Old 06-05-05, 07:31 PM
They do have this - Try driving a Lincoln Towncar

Old 06-05-05, 07:44 PM
Adding electronic (digital) controls to a mechanical system is not impossible but is not straightforward or inexpensive.

However, today you do not need to be driving a TownCar to enjoy this type of feature. My daughter has a Honda Odyssey ( 2yrs old) with full auto. You just dial in a temp. The system controls heat vs cool, adjusts fan speeds, adjusts front/rear balance etc. I do like the Towncars, though! This is my rental of choice for vacations.

Old 06-05-05, 08:29 PM
Yes, you can get pretty much any car with Auto AC these days, if you pay extra for more expensive package.

I think it would be cool though, not necessarily regulate fan speed but just control AC on/off so you do not have to freeze or mess with the switch all the time.

Old 06-07-05, 10:38 AM
not necessarily regulate fan speed but just control AC on/off
Would result in fogged windows when the airflow continued over the wet A/C coil. Automatic climate control in a car is quite complicated. I have an Accord that is fully automatic and the system amazes me. It isn't even about actual temperature as much as it is about how the passengers feel. A sun sensor on the dash, for example, sets the cooling up a notch or 2 when it senses bright sun. A simple system would need to take control of the temperature dial rather than AC on/off or fan, but temperature dials/levers in many cars are not electronic and those that are aren't all standard.

A kit that you would add to your car and switch it from the manual AC to automatic AC? It could be huge with aftermarket community.
Designing an aftermarket system that works on any car would be nearly impossible and definitely not profitable.

Nice thought though!

Doug M.

Old 06-10-05, 08:04 AM
Originally Posted by dougm
Would result in fogged windows when the airflow continued over the wet A/C coil. Automatic climate control in a car is quite complicated. I have an Accord that is fully automatic and the system amazes me. It isn't even about actual temperature as much as it is about how the passengers feel. A sun sensor on the dash, for example, sets the cooling up a notch or 2 when it senses bright sun. A simple system would need to take control of the temperature dial rather than AC on/off or fan, but temperature dials/levers in many cars are not electronic and those that are aren't all standard.

Designing an aftermarket system that works on any car would be nearly impossible and definitely not profitable.

Nice thought though!

Doug M.
Are you sure??

I am not - and the reason that I am not is that I at times turn off the AC and leave the fan on - and I do not see windows fog up as a result. I DO if its raining outside and I turn off defrost (meaning, the humidity is really high, but even then it does not happen always but mostly in fall). Which then of course means that if you live in Florida - you COULD have a problem like you described because you need the scuba gear to go outside in the 1st place.

My guess is that in less humid states there is not enough humidity in the air to actually make it happen, even if the coils are wet. I guess it also has to do with car design too, as well as how clean the windshield is from inside.

I just wish I had a clue to give this a shot and see what it does. I am a member of several car forums and there are questions on this on every one of them...

Old 06-10-05, 11:06 AM
Are you sure??
Different vehicles and environmental factors produce different results. I live in Texas and in my first car, turning off the A/C for more than a couple of minutes could fog up your contact lenses. In the car I'm driving these days it takes a lot more. I don't mean to sound discouraging. I love gadgets and finding ways to make things work, but I think heading down a dead-end road. Give it a try... Make a quick trip to the local home improvement store and ask for a mechanical cooling thermostat (Robertshaw makes one as do other manufacturers - make sure to get one that doesn't us a mercury switch and doesn't require leveling). Hook it up between the output of the A/C switch so that the output of the switch goes to the input of the thermostat and the output of the thermostat continues the circuit to wherever it connected before. Let us know how it works.

Doug M.