home electrical problem

Old 06-06-05, 07:16 AM
jcliff2k
Visiting Guest
home electrical problem

hello,
I'm new to this forum and did not see this question posted, so I will ask it here. I have an older home (built in 1964) the problem I have is 4 rooms
have no power. However, when I turn on my electric range (front or back burner) the power to all 4 rooms comes back on! When I shut off the burner
the power to these rooms goes off! I removed the plug from the range, and rechecked all of these rooms for power (with a test plug) no power. The utility box braker is not tripped off so now what do I do?

Thanks in advance,

jcliff

Sponsored Links
Old 06-06-05, 07:37 AM
You have problems with one leg of your service. Call your power company. Immediately. Like right now! And shut off all double-pole breakers in your panel while you are waiting for them to arrive.

Old 06-06-05, 10:14 AM
jcliff2k
Visiting Guest
power company reply

My local power company told me it was an internal problem and not something they could help me with. So now i will call an electrical repair
person, unless there is something else I can do.

Thanks again for your advice.

jcliff2k

Old 06-06-05, 10:29 AM
The problem could be on your side, but most (customer friendly) power companies would be willing to come check their side first. Apparently you have a power company that is unwilling to do anything until you prove it to be their fault.

If you have fuses instead of a main breaker, it could just be that one of the two fuses is out. If you have a main breaker, I would try shutting it off and back on again before calling the electrician.

Old 06-07-05, 04:34 AM
jcliff2k
Visiting Guest
I reset the main breaker and all rooms had power restored (thanks) but a few hours later the same problem occured. This time, I removed all plugs from all outlets, and shut down the double pole breakers I have 2 of them in the utilitybox. Another question here could the furnace controler be causing this problem? The reason I ask is because I can here some sort of relay switch "trying" to turn on . The furnace is on a 15amp breaker. Almost forgot, the furnace was installed in 1998, but the controler is a vintage 1964 honeywell.

jcliff2k

Old 06-07-05, 04:56 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
No, like John said, this is a problem with half the power to your panel.
If the panel is the same 1964 vintage you may be looking at a service replacement. 40 years is a decent service life for this equipment.
The main breaker may be bad or even the stabs it connects to.

Old 06-07-05, 02:18 PM
Don't wait too long before calling in the electrician. The longer you wait, the greater the risk of damage to your appliances. I promise you that the electrician will charge less than a new refrigerator, a new washing machine, a new dryer, a new television, a new coffee maker, a new microwave, and a new stereo. Until the electrician arrives, turn off all the double-pole breakers in your panel, leave them off, and quit experimenting.

Old 06-07-05, 07:55 PM
power when stove is on

i have seen this situation twice before (i am no expert and no electrican) both times it was a broken neutral between the panel box and the outside pole or a melted neutral below ground

Old 06-25-05, 02:58 AM
jcliff2k
Visiting Guest
problem solved

Sorry it took so long to get back to this forum.

Soon after you guys told me to obtain an electrician I did. Turns out that one (leg?) was loose at the pole. The wiring comming from the pole had to be replaced as well as the glass meter. The electrician did a complete inspection of all my house wiring and all is well.

Thanks again,

jcliff2k

Old 06-25-05, 08:41 AM
Thank you very much for coming back to let us know about the outcome of your problem.

By taking the time to do this, you have given the pros who advised you a little pat on the back, and who doesn't like that once in a while! It also helps these guys hone their analytical skills. Answering questions on the web, with no ability to see or measure the problem, requires keen analysis, and providing feedback is a big help .

Again, thank you very much, and I am happy that you had a good outcome. I assume the utility took care of the drop, even though you did have to shell out some bucks to your electrician, it is money well spent.