Hot Tub Deck Grounding

Old 06-06-05, 06:18 AM
Hot Tub Deck Grounding

I will be installing a concrete pad for my recently purchased hot tub and the pad will have wire mesh embedded in the concrete. I need to know how to properly "bond" this pad into the grounding system.

Is it permissible to bring the copper ground wire from the wire mesh up alongside the outside of the conduit that will hold the #6 AWG wires for the tub?

What size should this grounding wire be from the mesh to the grounding location in the hot tub control panel?

Last edited by sgtgerryf; 06-06-05 at 10:52 AM.
Sponsored Links
Old 06-06-05, 11:34 AM
I would ask your city inspector.

My friend had to use rebar in a detached garage slab for a ground, that's where he put the main panel.

Old 06-06-05, 11:48 AM
For an outdoor pool or spa, the metal is bonded with #8 copper wire.

I don't know the best way to connect the rebar in the coincrete or what you inspector will allow.

Old 06-06-05, 02:37 PM
Looking in Section IV - Spas and Hot Tubs , Article 680.40 of NEC 2002, I don't see anything that says you have to bond the metal mesh.

Old 06-06-05, 05:53 PM
It's in there.

Old 06-06-05, 07:47 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
680.26(b)(1)

Old 06-07-05, 07:37 AM
>>I will be installing a concrete pad for my recently purchased hot tub and the pad will have wire mesh embedded in the concrete. I need to know how to properly "bond" this pad into the grounding system.<<

He's talking about a hot tub not a swiming pool.

Originally Posted by Speedy Petey
680.26(b)(1)
- Swimming Pool Article.

680.40 is Spas and Hot Tubs.

Old 06-07-05, 07:53 AM
Totally Confused

Now that I've seemed to have started a NEC debate on this issue, I'm confused as to whether or not the hot tub slab needs to be "bonded" to the electrical system.

It seems to me that a concrete slab around a hot tub is the same as a concrete pool deck, so the same rules should apply, however, I'm a homeowner and not an electrician. Both a hot tub and a pool have potentially wet deck surfaces near electrical equipment, so why would one (pool) require this and the other (hot tub) not require the bonding?

If I bond the wire reinforcing mesh in the hot tub slab can I still run the #8 copper wire right next to, but outside of the conduit that will hold the power wires? Do I attached the #8 bonding wire to the same ground point in the hot tub controller as the ground wire that will be running through the conduit and back to the disconnect?

Finally, the manufacturer calls for a 240V, 60Amp GFCI breaker. Can't find this at Home Depot. Any suggestions where to get one of these?

Sorry for stirring up the debate and I'm looking forward to your input.

Old 06-07-05, 08:21 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Originally Posted by sgtgerryf
Finally, the manufacturer calls for a 240V, 60Amp GFCI breaker. Can't find this at Home Depot. Any suggestions where to get one of these?
You'll have to go to an electrical supply shop. There's almost certainly one in your town or nearby. Check the yellow pages. If that fails, there are a few online stores that sell breakers.

When you call or go in to the supply store, be sure to the take the model number of your panel and/or a list of the breaker types it accepts. They should be listed on the inside cover sticker.

Old 06-07-05, 08:51 AM
Originally Posted by thinman
He's talking about a hot tub not a swiming pool.

- Swimming Pool Article.

680.40 is Spas and Hot Tubs.

Part 4 of article 680 (Spas and Hot Tubs), section 680.42, requires outdoor installations to meet the requirements of parts 1 and 2 of article 680. Part 2 (Permanently Installed Pools), section 680.26(B)(1), would require the bonding of reinforcing steel in concrete.

Is this hot tub outdoors?

Old 06-07-05, 10:05 AM
Originally Posted by Juhl
Part 4 of article 680 (Spas and Hot Tubs), section 680.42, requires outdoor installations to meet the requirements of parts 1 and 2 of article 680. Part 2 (Permanently Installed Pools), section 680.26(B)(1), would require the bonding of reinforcing steel in concrete.

Is this hot tub outdoors?
Guess it's time for my annual eye examination.

Old 06-07-05, 10:30 AM
Thanks

Thanks to all for the assistance---I'll be bonding the wire mesh in the concrete and checking the local electrical supply house for this breaker.

Old 06-07-05, 10:31 AM
Originally Posted by sgtgerryf
Thanks to all for the assistance---I'll be bonding the wire mesh in the concrete and checking the local electrical supply house for this breaker.
http://taylorsbathandspas.com/SpaShowroom/Communications/Plat1997.pdf#search='electrically%20bond%20%20concrete%20%20wire%20mesh'

Old 06-07-05, 12:37 PM
Originally Posted by thinman
http://taylorsbathandspas.com/SpaShowroom/Communications/Plat1997.pdf#search='electrically%20bond%20%20concrete%20%20wire%20mesh'

That link is to the search results within an installation manual for a hot tub, the search parameters were “electrically bond concrete wire mesh”, there were no results. If you narrow the search to “mesh” you will find this on page 3.

Outdoor Installation
If you install the spa outdoors, we recommend that
you provide a concrete pad for it to rest on. To do this,
construct forms for a 4" thick level pad. Install a #10
gauge wire mesh 6" x 6" steel reinforced grid. Attach a
#8 solid copper wire to the grid with a ground clamp.
This wire should be long enough to reach the bond bar
on the spa electrical cabinet (minimum 36"), but should
NOT be located under the base of the spa. Then pour
the concrete pad.

http://taylorsbathandspas.com/SpaSho...s/Plat1997.pdf

--