how can I run a new circuit?

Old 06-06-05, 06:20 AM
how can I run a new circuit?

My old house was on a crawl space so it was easy to just take a new circuit below the service panel into the crawl space and then bring it up through the floor of the new area.

Now this new house has a basement and we want to run a new circuit for a fridge (since I think a fridge can't just plug into any old outlet) but how is this possible without ripping out all the drywall leading to the destination?

any ideas?

-MC

Sponsored Links
Old 06-06-05, 06:32 AM
Drywall is cheap, and is easy to repair. Don't let a little drywall work stand in the way of getting what you need. Having said that, careful thought about the location and direction of the joists and studs can usually hold drywall damage to a minimum.

But a refrigerator can plug into just any old outlet as long as the circuit has the capacity. However, a dedicated circuit for a full-size refrigerator is usually a good idea.

Old 06-06-05, 03:02 PM
Is it possible to route the new cable inside and up the wall across the attic and down the wall to the new receptacle?

Old 06-07-05, 06:01 AM
that is possible but I'd have to run it up 2 floors to get to the attic

I see what you're saying, sub the attic for the crawl. but my utility room is in the basement, I'd have to run the circuit up through the ground floor, up through the top floor, then up to the attic and back down to the ground floor.

Judging by the responses, this is something that should have been planned 'a priori' so I'm thinking my easiest option is to put the fridge in the utility room, that way the circuit just goes a few feet to a receptacle.

I know this isn't the most attractive way to handle the situation but since this is a new place and my wife hasn't been pleased with my handiwork in the past I'd just assume avoid a family fight,

thanks for the tips,

-MC

Old 06-07-05, 11:39 AM
manythumbs
Visiting Guest
Did I miss something? You said you have a basement, correct? Is the basement finished? Where is your service panel?

You should be able to just run the cable for a new circuit through the basement, drill through the bottom plate, and fish the cable to a new box in the drywall behind the fridge.

Old 06-07-05, 11:55 AM
the basement is finished and the service panel is in a separate utility room in the basement.

putting the circuit into the service panel isn't a problem and if the fridge was in the basement it wouldn't be a problem either.

in the case that the Mrs. wants the fridge on the ground floor, it's not just a matter of running the circuit up through the basement floor but also across to the point where it could come up in between the studs on the ground floor where the receptacle would be placed.

running the circuit across the floor is the tough part here and I'm not sure how to fish for a circuit unless I take out a huge piece of drywall enabling me to see better.

that's why I decided to take the path of least resistance and just stick the fridge in the basement,

-MC

Old 06-07-05, 12:07 PM
Drywall is cheap. Repairing a large hole is not much harder than repairing a small hole. Once you learn to seamlessly repair drywall, this kind of project will never scare you again. Drywalling is like going off the high dive at the swimming pool--it's only scary the first time, and then you realize that there's nothing to it. Read a book on drywalling. You'll be glad you did.

Old 06-07-05, 12:14 PM
I've actually done the drywall a few times before

so the "up and down" of running the circuit is not an issue, my concern is the "across" portion, i.e. running across the basement ceiling/ground level floor in order to get to the destination area,

-MC

Old 06-10-05, 06:38 PM
manythumbs
Visiting Guest
It is hard to believe that there are not cables running through the basement already. You just drill through the joists or run the cable down the length of them on the side, depending on your needs, until you get to the bottom of the wall that you need to get into. At that point I have little experience, but you need to drill through the bottom plate or floor to get into the wall. Measure carefully and drill and cut the holes the same distance from a point of reference visible upstairs and downstairs. You should be able to fish the cable up to your refrigerator. This is detailed in plenty of home handyman books that deal with wiring and general topics. There will be lots of pictures so go get one.

Old 06-10-05, 07:36 PM
do you have a fake ceiling in basement or drywall stucco??