Household rewiring

Old 06-06-05, 08:17 AM
lukesh
Visiting Guest
Smile Household rewiring

Hi all,
Excellent and informative forum here! Glad I found it.

Here's my scenerio. I recently purchased a 55 year old home. The day I moved in, I noticed two out of the three 3-way switch sets in the home did not work properly (i.e., wired wrong). When one switch was off the other was non-functioning. Typical... I've seen it a hundred times. Funny someone just lives with this sort of thing isn't it. Anyway... I rewired the switches correctly, and all now function as they are supposed to.

I did find however, some rather unusual wiring behind the switches which led me to investigate all of the wiring in the house. While the Veteran's Affairs folks did a quote-unquote thorough inspection , I can't believe this place passed any portion of an electrical inspection. Every duplex receptical includes a ground plug (but no ground wires exist), The downstairs bathroom GFCI breaker circuit is tied off of one leg of the dryer 220 (at the 220 dryer outlet box at the dryer), the unfinished basement has exposed wiring (from outlet boxes) which are hot, stripped, and uncovered and tie off to the other leg of the dryer outlet. These are just a few of the things I found... So, I'm going to rewire it.

Now, I know this whole place needs rewiring, and I'm skilled enough, and knowledgeable enough to do the majority of the work myself. I am rewiring each room as I do minor renovations to it (filling holes in the walls, painting, etc.).

I have already removed from the dryer line, and reran a dedicated GFCI 12/2 line from the panel to the bathroom GFCI circuit, and disconnected the downstairs outlets (or exposed wires) from the second leg of the dryer line. I also reran the dryer line using 10/3. (I believe 12/3 is required, but I went a step beyond).

I have just finished up the first renovated bedroom. In it, I ran brand new 12/2 to the (now) four convenience outlets (properly spaced per code) and put them on an AFCI 20 Amp breaker. All three upstairs bedrooms will be on this breaker. I have a second 12/2 circuit on an AFCI 20 Amp breaker for the lights and smoke detectors I am adding to each bedroom.

Question #1: Is there anything that says I can't tie in the attic light to this AFCI circuit used to light the bedrooms? how about 1 convenience outlet next to the light? Both would rarely be used; and for this reason I see no need to run another line up to the attic unless this is against code (which I can't seem to find anything which addresses this type of issue).

Question #2: If #1 is okay, then can I put the hall light on this circuit as well?

The kitchen is next to be rewired (after the other two bedrooms); because there is only one semi-accessible outlet in the entire kitchen (the one behind the refrigerator); and we're talking about a 14' x 20' kitchen here! There is one other outlet beneath the sink for the disposal, but I'm not even going to tell you where that one is tied into... Take a guess... We're in the kitchen now---yup, one leg of the Stove's 220.

Question #3: I will be having 3 dedicated GFCI circuits with 12/2 for convenience outlets allong the counter space (to code spacing), and I'm going to add a 4th one for the disposal, and refrigerator. Is this acceptable? or should the refrigerator be on a dedicated circuit? If this is acceptable, how about including the dishwasher on this circuit as well.

Question #4: There is no vent fan for the stove. Is the kitchen lighting circuit acceptable for this?

Lastly, I want to install two new outlets under the soffets by the roofline. The purpose of these convenience outlets are for raingutter heaters (wintertime) and for christmas lights. They're exterior; so, GFCI circuit (exterior use covered outlet).

Question #5: Can a GFCI circuit be switched? I'd want to put a switch between the panel and the outlets so that they can be turned off when not needed.

The rest of the stuff in the house, I have a good handle on. I've taken pictures of what was in my house when I moved in, and I'm taking pictures of what I did to fix the problems. Once I'm done with the rewiring, I'll post them so you can all see. (It was unbelieveable )

Thank you in advance for your answers.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-06-05, 08:42 AM
(1) It's okay.
(2) Yes, okay also.
(3) Do not put the disposal and refrigerator on the same circuit. Give each one its own. Or the refrigerator may be on one of the countertop circuits (although giving it a circuit of its own is better). The dishwasher may be on the same circuit as the disposal, but again, giving it a circuit of its own is better.
(4) Yes.
(5) Yes.

Old 06-06-05, 08:45 AM
lukesh
Visiting Guest
Thanks

Thanks for the answers.
Have you ever seen anyone tie off of 220 outlets like this before???

Old 06-06-05, 08:49 AM
You live long enough, you see everything.

People are always trying to tap off their dryer circuit. It's one of the more common pieces of foolishness.