Adding new Circuits

Old 06-06-05, 09:08 AM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Adding new Circuits

My daughter and her fiance are buying a small 1957 home in San Diego. This home (724 sq.ft.) is in the beach area and has a panel with just (2) 20 amp breakers. We would like to remodel and add to the house and know we need more circuits. I would expect at least 2 additional 20 amp circuits and want to know if we need to put in an entire new service panel or if simply replacing the existing breakers with dual 20 amp breakers would work.

There is natural gas available, so we don't need any power for heating, cooking or cloths washing. We anticipate adding a dishwasher and a microwave, but the main need for additional circuits will be just additional outlets and a new bathroom.

Would there be a problem with the incoming wires? As I said, this house was built in 1957 so I expect it has metal conduit but for new circuits we would like to use romex.

What should we expect and what's the best way to go about making the upgrade?

Thanks, Joe

Old 06-06-05, 09:33 AM
J
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
First, find out what the size of the main service is. This could be 60-amp service. Some insurance companies won't even insure a house with 60-amp service.

If there are no open spaces in the panel, whether or not you could use tandem breakers depends on the panel. Get the make and model fo the panel and call the manufacturer.

Now as to whether or not the existing service can handle the extra load, that requires a "demand load calculation". Once you determine the service size, google that term to find out how to do it.

Old 06-06-05, 09:56 AM
J
Originally Posted by John Nelson
First, find out what the size of the main service is. This could be 60-amp service.
How do I determine that?

Old 06-06-05, 10:07 AM
J
Received 515 Upvotes on 420 Posts
Let's do a quick count of breakers required.
Kitchen counter receptacle - one 20 amp - two would be better
Refridgerator - one 15 amp
Bathroom - one 20 amp
General lighting and room receptacles - two or three 15 or 20 amp
Bedroom AFCI - one 20 amp

That's 7 or eight.

Old 06-06-05, 10:37 AM
J
OK, so the panel needs to be replaced unless it's possible to serve a sub panel from the existing main.

The house has 2 bedrooms, 1 bath, laundry, kitchen and living room.

Appliances:
36" Refrigerator/Freezer
Washer and Dryer (dryer is NG)
Garbage Disposer (future)
Range Hood (future)
Countertop Microwave
Dishwasher (future)
Small Hot Tub (120 volt including heater) located in the back yard
Portable Hair Dryer
Future Jacuzzi in remodeled bathroom.

Because of the location, an AC unit will never be needed. The size of the house makes it easy to heat with just a single gas wall heater so a FAU is not needed either.

We'll probably add some ceiling fans, but that's not a big deal.

It looks like upgrading to a 100 amp service with a new panel would be the best way to go. I would think that it would be easiest to just install a new panel and an interior subpanel. We could then get the service switched over and the existing panel served by the new panel at the same time. At some future point, we would put in new circuits connected to the sub panel to replace the old circuits.

This way, all the circuit breakers would be accessible inside the house except for the main breaker serving the subpanel and exterior lighting, etc.

Do you see anything wrong with this plan?

Last edited by Joe.Carrick; 06-06-05 at 10:49 AM.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: