[Electrical Wiring] Wiring a Sub Panel???

Old 06-06-05, 10:22 AM
[Electrical Wiring] Wiring a Sub Panel???

I have some wiring questions…
Here is the scenario:

The main 200 amp service panel has three large lines incoming from the pole, two black hots and a black marked with white tape. The ground wire comes in from below from the grounding rod.

The Two large hot wires run down the center conductors that the breakers snap into. The ground hooks to the right side grounding bus bar and the wire with the white tape connects to the left side neutral bus bar. The two sides (Neutral & Ground) are connected with a solid bracket between them.

A three conductor wire (Maybe a 6 gauge) connects a sub panel to the main. Black, Red, Green. The black and red are connected to the hot bus bars. The green in connected to a grounding bus bar. There is only one grounding bus bar in the sub-panel and the grounds and neutral are hooked to it. There is no visible way to separate the bus into a separate neutral and ground bar

So my questions are:
I have been told that it is OK for the grounding bar and the neutral bar to be connected at the main service panel, and the grounds and neutrals from the circuits can be placed anywhere on them, but that they can’t be connected at the sub panel; the sub panel should have a grounding bus that is attached to the box and a neutral bus that is isolated from the box. Is this true?

If it is true then the feed from the main panel would need to be changed from a three wire to a four wire??

And the sub-panel box would need to be replaced with a box that can separate the grounds and neutrals??

TIA.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-06-05, 11:11 AM
Is the sub panel on a detached building from the main panel ?

Old 06-06-05, 11:19 AM
Originally Posted by GWIZ
Is the sub panel on a detached building from the main panel ?
No.. it is in another part of the house.

Old 06-06-05, 11:21 AM
Then a 4-wire feed is absolutely required.

I believe that it is possible to separate the grounding wires and neutral wires in all panels. Sometimes you need to buy a grounding bar kit and/or removing a bonding screw or strap.

Old 06-06-05, 11:31 AM
Originally Posted by John Nelson
Then a 4-wire feed is absolutely required.

I believe that it is possible to separate the grounding wires and neutral wires in all panels. Sometimes you need to buy a grounding bar kit and/or removing a bonding screw or strap.
So besides changing the feed to the sub-panel to 4 wire; I also need to add an isolated bar for the neutrals on the sub panel? But the grounds and the neutrals at the main panel do not have to be separated? Correct?

Old 06-06-05, 12:00 PM
Look at this link.

http://forum.doityourself.com/showthread.php?t=216397

So besides changing the feed to the sub-panel to 4 wire; I also need to add an isolated bar for the neutrals on the sub panel?
YES, if you dont have one isolated.

But the grounds and the neutrals at the main panel do not have to be separated? Correct?
Correct, but look at the link.

Old 06-06-05, 12:12 PM
Originally Posted by GWIZ
Look at this link.

http://forum.doityourself.com/showthread.php?t=216397

So besides changing the feed to the sub-panel to 4 wire; I also need to add an isolated bar for the neutrals on the sub panel?
YES, if you dont have one isolated.

But the grounds and the neutrals at the main panel do not have to be separated? Correct?
Correct, but look at the link.
Got it, Thanks