switching from electric stove top to full range

Old 06-06-05, 02:03 PM
emc2
Visiting Guest
switching from electric stove top to full range

any advice on how difficult it would be for a homeowner to abandon a 1970s stove top and separate wall oven (now dead) for single electric range to save space. Would it be easier to install another wall oven under the now new ceramic stove top, or change the wiring from hard wired to 220 plug for a full range? I'm a novice wiring person who failed to get a new stove top working until a large neighbor with tatoos was able to twist on wire covers for stove top. i did match up the right wires, however. thanx.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-06-05, 05:51 PM
Wiring a 220 range is no place for a novice to start. There are many things to be concerned about, such as correct wire size, suitability of old wire, etc. I suggest that you get a professional to look at it and at least let you know what you need.

Old 06-06-05, 08:19 PM
One issue that may dictate the solution is if the new appliances you choose will _require_ a 4-wire connection, such that the 3-wire version commonly used until 1996 is not acceptable.
IF both existing units are on the same circuit, may be possible to reuse the circuit with some modifications. If YES, tell us the configuration so that we can give you additional information pertinent to your situation . Requirements for a new one-piece "range": 6 AWG copper or 4 AWG Aluminum conductors and a 50 Amp breaker, and for a 4-wire setup a NEMA 14-50 receptacle, for a 3-wire circuit use a NEMA 10-50 receptacle.

Let us know,
gj

Old 06-06-05, 08:39 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Ther is a very good chance that the existing circuits will not be any good for the new range. Most cook tops and single wall ovens I have seen were 30 amp circuits.
The minimum circuit for a free standing range, less than 12KW, is #8cu on a 40 amp breaker.
Unless the circuit meets these requirements a new circuit is mandatory. IMO a new 4-wire circuit is the way to go.

Old 06-07-05, 08:10 AM
emc2
Visiting Guest
thanx and waiting

i have spoken to local electrician and am waiting now to find out if my replacement cooktop installed last year (by me and tatooed neighbor) was a mismatch for the 1977 wiring. have been advised that more wiring is required for a range. am told also that copper is getting extremely expensive. is this true?