Bending PVC Conduit

Old 06-07-05, 07:13 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Bending PVC Conduit

I have previous experience working with and bending EMT and IMC Conduit, but I've never used PVC Conduit. I will however use 1 1/4" Sch 40 Rigid PVC Conduit to run my feeder cables from my main electrical panel to my detached garage.

Based on my calculations, there is an approximate 2.65 Degree slop downhill from the house to the detached garage, which will require a 92.65 Degree Sweep for the buried conduit at the house and an 87.35 Degree Sweep at the detached garage.

Can I bend 1 1/4" Sch 40 Rigid PVC and if so how do I go about doing it? The other option is to dig down an additional 15" near the house in order to use a 90 Degree Sweep, but I'd like to avoid the hassle if at all possible. Digging 18" down will be difficult enough. In our area, going down 30+ inches almost guarantees I will hit something hard.

Thanks in advance for any tips.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-07-05, 08:35 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 42 Votes on 40 Posts
Schedule 40 is fairly flexible. I bet you could just use pre-made 90 sweeps and flex the extra 3 degrees out of the conduit over that distance.

Old 06-07-05, 03:53 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I agree, with that slope the PVC will flex enough for the elevation change. If your turn ups won't be true 90's, Greenlee makes a small 120V heating blanket, a good 'contractor tool rental' place should have one available.

I was successful using a torch once, alot of patience and it wasn't pretty but it did the job in the trench. Make sure you plug the ends of the pipe to contain the heat.